This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Emergency room visits or even elective medical procedures are inevitable for most people. While many medical bills are expensive, you might get an early pay discount or make a payment plan. The best credit cards can give you rewards and provide flexible repayment terms for your hospital visits. Here are a few things to look out for as well as any cards you might consider.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Lump-Sum or Hospital Payment Plans?
It can take several days or weeks to get all of the medical bills for a hospital trip. Most medical providers accept credit card payments and won’t charge the 3% card processing fee. You might get a discount if you pay the entire balance upfront.
The size of the medical bill, your current financial health, and your payment plan options help you decide to pay it all upfront. If you choose the lump sum method, you can easily qualify for a limited-time credit card signup bonus with a high minimum spend.
Best Credit Cards for Medical Bills
If you choose an interest-free monthly payment plan (or choose a lump sum), you can try these credit cards too. Keep reading to learn more.
- Citi® Double Cash Card
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- American Express® Gold Card
- Southwest Airlines Credit Cards
Citi Double Cash Card
The Citi Double Cash earns up to 2% back on every dollar you spend. Cardholders earn 1% back when they buy plus the other 1% back when they pay. There is no limit to how much can be earned.
Most fixed cash back cards only award up to 1.5% back. You can redeem your rewards for cash statement credit, paper check, or bank deposits. There is no annual fee but this card also doesn’t have a signup bonus.
Related: Best cash back credit cards
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
Another top-notch travel credit card is the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Medical bills and other non-bonus purchases earn 1 point per $1.
Once your family is healthy, you can enjoy new Chase Sapphire benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x points on dining, and 2x points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
Each point is worth 25% more (1.25 cents) when booking award travel through Chase or transfer at a 1:1 ratio to hotel and airline partners. You can redeem them for 1 cent each for cash redemptions and gift cards.
New Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card cardholders can earn 100,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, worth $1250 when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. This is the highest bonus offer ever for the Chase Sapphire Preferred!
Some valuable travel and partner benefits include:
- One year of complimentary DoorDash DashPass
- Earn 5x points on Lyft rides through March 2022
- Primary rental car insurance benefits
The annual fee is $95.
Chase Freedom Unlimited
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® earns at least 1.5% back (1.5 Ultimate Rewards per $1) on all purchases.
New Chase Freedom Unlimited® cardholders can earn a $200 bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, they can earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target® or Walmart® purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.
Cardholders also earn unlimited:
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3% cash back at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases
- 1.5% cash back on all other purchases
There is no annual fee with the Chase Freedom Unlimited.
Each Ultimate Rewards point is worth 1 cent each for award travel and cash rewards. You can also combine them with your Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred balance for a travel redemption bonus or 1:1 transfers.
Related: Best Credit Cards for Groceries
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is one of the best travel rewards credit cards as it’s easy to earn and redeem miles. You earn 2 miles per $1 on all purchases and can redeem them for travel statement credits. Uber Eats purchases earn 5 miles per $1 through January 31, 2021.
New Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card cardholders can earn 60,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Travel Rewards Credit Cards
The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a good card for daily purchases including medical bills. You earn up to 6% cash back on purchases redeemable for statement credits.
- 6% back at U.S. supermarkets (on the first $6,000 per year, then 1% back)
- 6% back on select U.S. streaming services
- 3% back on transit
- 3% back at U.S. gas stations
- 1% back on everything else
- Terms apply
Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. Also, Plan It gives cardholders the option to select purchases of $100 or more to split up into monthly payments with a fixed fee and no interest (terms apply).
There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 (See Rates & Fees).
The welcome offer is the ability to earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership, up to $200 back. Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership. You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
American Express Gold Card
The American Express Gold Card helps you maximize dining, grocery, and travel purchases:
- 4x Membership Rewards at US supermarkets (on the first $25,000 per year, then 1x points)
- 4x points at restaurants, including takeout and delivery
- 3x points on flights you book at AmexTravel.com
- 1x points for all remaining purchases
- Terms apply
You also get up to $120 in yearly dining credits ($10 per month; enrollment required). Your dining credit can cover Grubhub, Seamless, Boxed, Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, select Shake Shack locations, and Cheesecake Factory purchases.
Your Amex Membership Rewards points are most valuable for booking award flights and select gift cards. You can also transfer them at a 1:1 ratio for airlines and hotels.
American Express® Gold Card cardholders can also get up to $120 in Uber Cash annually. Plus, you’ll earn 4x Membership Rewards® points for each Uber Eats purchase on your card. To use this perk, simply add your card to your Uber account and you’ll automatically get $10 in Uber Cash each month in your Uber account for U.S. Uber Eats orders or U.S. Uber rides. Any unused Uber Cash expires at the end of each month (it does not roll over to the next month).
Cardholders also get up to 12 complimentary months of Eats Pass when you subscribe with your American Express Gold Card. That’s a value of up to $119 annually (based on the $9.99 monthly price over 12 months). With the Uber Eats Pass, you can get unlimited $0 Delivery Fees and 5% off orders over $15 at eligible restaurants. Note that taxes and service fees may apply and do not count toward the order minimum.
This benefit applies only in the U.S. on U.S. orders at eligible restaurants and on eligible restaurant purchases.
Enrollment is required by 12/31/2021. After that, the Uber Eats Pass will begin auto-billing 12 months after your enrollment in this offer, at the then-current monthly price. Learn more about the Uber Eats partnership for more information.
The annual fee is $250 and there are no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
New American Express® Gold Card cardholders can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first 6 months. Also, Rose Gold is back! Cardholders can choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Southwest Airlines Credit Cards
Southwest Airlines can be one of the best airlines to fly for competitive prices on domestic flights and Caribbean flights. Your medical bills can help you earn a signup bonus which counts towards earning the Southwest Companion Pass®.
The consumer cards all have the same signup bonus. New consumer card cardholders can earn 40,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Plus, earn 3X points on dining, including takeout and eligible delivery services, for the first year. These cards are:
- The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
Each card earns 2 Rapid Rewards per $1 on Southwest Airlines and Rapid Rewards partner purchases. All non-bonus spending earns 1 point per $1.
Each card has various anniversary point bonuses and other “fringe benefits.” The most luxurious of these three cards is the Priority Card including a $75 annual Southwest credit and four Upgraded Bookings per year. Its annual fee is a reasonable $149 per year.
Summary of the Best Credit Cards for Medical Bills
Medical bills you must pay for out-of-pocket are not automatic high-interest debt balances. The best rewards credit cards can help you earn bonus points and avoid crazy interest rates that medical loans charge. These cards can also help you maximize your other daily purchases.
Which credit card is best for hospital bills?
The best credit card for hospital bills and related medical expenses can be a cash back card like the Citi Double Cash. This card earns up to 2% cash back on every purchase and there is no annual fee. Cardholders earn 1% back when they buy, plus 1% back when they pay for their purchases. Most credit cards only offer 1 point per $1 on medical bills as they are a “non-bonus purchase category.”
However, the best credit card may also be one with the most exciting signup bonus that you can use. It might be a travel credit card or a cash rewards credit card. Making a lump-sum payment can help you easily reach the $3,000, $4,000, or $5,000 three-month minimum spending requirement.
You might inspect these limited-time credit card offers to find an amazing opportunity.
Is it smart to pay bills with a credit card?
Using your credit card to pay bills is a good option when your purchase rewards are worth more than any transaction fees. Government agencies and some small businesses charge an approximate 3% processing fee. But most businesses no longer charge an extra processing fee.
You might also use your credit card to pay bills if you can earn a signup or welcome bonus. Even if you pay processing charges, the signup bonus value usually exceeds these add-on charges.
Also, you should only use your credit card when you can pay the monthly statement balance in full and avoid interest charges.
Can I pay off my credit card as soon as I use it?
Most credit cards require you to wait at least one business day after the transaction date to pay your credit card. It takes one or two days for the purchase to “post” and verify that you made a legit purchase. For instance, gas stations, hotels, and rental car agencies may only place a temporary hold on your card until the final purchase amount posts. Not being able to make instant payments prevents payment confusion.
Paying your credit card balance before the statement closing date has some benefits. The primary benefit is you keep your credit utilization ratio low to boost your credit score. A second benefit is that you’re less likely to accidentally spend your checking account balance on another purchase and carry a high-interest credit card balance.
- Best Credit Cards to Use During COVID Travel Restrictions
- 6 Best Credit Cards for Everyday Spending (Groceries, Gas, & More)
- Can You Pay Your Mortgage With a Credit Card?
- Latest Incentives for Travel and Travel Card Spending
For rates and fees of The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of The American Express® Gold Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Lump-Sum or Hospital Payment Plans?
- 2 Best Credit Cards for Medical Bills
- 3 Citi Double Cash Card
- 4 Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- 5 Chase Freedom Unlimited
- 6 Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 7 The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express
- 8 American Express Gold Card
- 9 Southwest Airlines Credit Cards
- 10 Summary of the Best Credit Cards for Medical Bills
- 11 FAQs