This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
You may have noticed a rise in hotel prices—and hotel deals that can be applied towards a relaxing break or a “workcation”/change of scenery. With that said, now can be one of the best times to review some of the best hotel credit cards in 2021. Not only can you get rewards specific to your lifestyle, but you can also get several free nights in the process.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Editor’s Note: Some of the offers below may have expired or are no longer available on our site.
The Best Hotel Credit Cards in 2021 (And Their Major Bonuses)
- Best Hotel Card Bonus: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card – 125,000 bonus points
- Best Free Night Award: The World of Hyatt Credit Card – 60,000 points
- The Best for Non-Business People: IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card – 150,000 points
- Best Card with No Annual Fee: The Hilton Honors American Express Card – Up to 130,000 points
- Best Card for Flexible Booking: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card – 60,000 miles
- The Best Hotel Credit Card for Business Travelers: World of Hyatt Business Credit Card – 75,000 points
Other Good Credit Cards for Hotel Stays
- Flexible Rewards Credit Card for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Premium Flexibility for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Credit Card for 4+ Night Stays: Citi Prestige® Credit Card
Best Hotel Card Bonus: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
As Marriott and Starwood merged, Marriott launched several new credit cards. One of these new cards is the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card which replaced the current premium Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card. This Marriott credit card is the best hotel credit card for Marriott loyalists.
On each card anniversary, you also get one free night reward valid at any property that costs 35,000 points or less. You will also earn up to 17x Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy® with the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Card. All remaining purchases will earn 2 points per $1 spent.
It is also one of the best Marriott credit cards.
Automatic Silver Elite status also gives you an extra 10% points on bonus stays. Other Silver Elite benefits include free in-room WiFi and late checkout. Spending $35,000 in a year, or the 15 Elite Night credits, gives you fast track upgrade status to Gold Elite status.
For a limited time, new Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card cardholders can earn 125,000 Bonus Points and 1 Free Night Award (value up to 50,000 points) after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
Best Free Night Award: The World of Hyatt Credit Card
Even if you only stay in a hotel one night a year, you can stay for free if you get a free night award. In most cases, the free hotel night cash value is greater than the card’s annual fee.
With The World of Hyatt Credit Card, your free annual hotel night after each card anniversary is valid at any category 1-4 Hyatt property. This free night alone is easily worth more than the $95 annual fee.
Hyatt also has one of the most generous reward night policies.
This is also one of the best credit cards for free hotel nights. Their free nights start at 5,000 points and max out at 30,000 points at a category 7 property. With most other hotel programs, 30,000 points only books a room at a mid-tier property. If you want to enjoy upscale travel at bargain prices, don’t overlook Hyatt.
You also have the opportunity to earn up to 60,000 bonus points as a welcome bonus. Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent on purchases that earn 1 Bonus Point, up to $15,000, in the first 6 months of account opening.
Additional perks include complimentary World of Hyatt Discoverist status for as long as your account is open, 5 tier qualifying night credits towards status after account opening, and each year after that for as long as your account is open, and an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel if you spend $15,000 in a calendar year.
Cardholders also earn 2 qualifying night credits towards tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card.
Plus, you can enjoy these tiered purchase rewards:
- 9 points per $1 spent on Hyatt purchases – 4 points per $1 when you use your card at Hyatt hotels & 5 points per $1 you can earn as a World of Hyatt member
- 2 points per $1 spent for restaurants, airline tickets purchased directly from the airline, local transit, and commuting, and on fitness club and gym memberships
If you frequent Hyatt properties, the World of Hyatt Card is a great card to have in your wallet.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
For Non-Business People: IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card offers travel benefits and purchase rewards that benefit non-business travelers:
- Reward night annual certificate after account anniversary
- Earn up to 25x points total per $1 when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2x points per $1 at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- 1x point per $1 for all other purchases
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
You also have the chance to earn 150,000 points by spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. Reward IHG nights start at 5,000 points. That means you can squeeze up to 30 reward nights from the entire bonus offer amount. There’s a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $89.
When you’re not traveling for business, the 2x bonus points give you the perfect opportunity to earn bonus points on your largest monthly spending categories (not including your rent or mortgage payment). If you want a credit card that offers hotel benefits and air travel benefits, it’s hard not to like the IHG Premier.
Automatic Platinum Elite status lets you enjoy space-available room upgrades, a 50% earning bonus, and extended checkout. To earn this status without the card, you need to stay at least 40 nights per year.
This IHG Rewards Club Premier Card review can show you how you might get the most value out of this card.
Best Hotel Credit Card with No Annual Fee: Hilton Honors American Express Card
For casual travelers that don’t need a free night award or for those that only need a secondary credit card, the Hilton Honors American Express Card is one of the best options without an annual fee (See rates & fees).
The Hilton Honors Card earns up to 7x Hilton Honors points per $1 spent:
- 7x points per $1 spent directly on eligible Hilton purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Honors portfolio of brands
- 5x points for each $1 of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, and U.S. supermarkets
- 3x points for each $1 of all remaining eligible purchases
This is one of the best Hilton credit cards.
You will also enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status. That earns you a 5th night free on reward stays, elite rollover nights, and two water bottles per stay. Spend $20,000 in a year to upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status through the end of the next calendar year.
New The Hilton Honors American Express Card cardholders can earn up to 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points! New cardholders can earn 80,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after spending $1,000 in purchases on the Hilton Honors American Express Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn an additional 50,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend a total of $5,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 6 months.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
Best Hotel Credit Card for Business Travelers: World of Hyatt Business Credit Card
There hadn’t been a specific card for business travelers looking for a specific hotel business credit card—until now. The first-ever World of Hyatt Business Credit Card comes with several exciting perks that can add value to stays at this major hotel brand.
For starters, cardholders earn:
- 9x total points on Hyatt stays (4x Bonus Points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels, participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World, participating Exhale locations, and eligible Lindblad Expeditions, plus, 5x Base Points from Hyatt per eligible $1 spent for being a World of Hyatt member)
- 2x Bonus Points per $1 spent in your top three spend categories each quarter through 12/31/22, then your top two categories each quarter; eligible categories include:
- airline tickets when purchased directly with the airline
- local transit and commuting
- social media and search engine advertising
- car rental agencies
- gas stations
- internet, cable, and phone services
- 2x points per $1 spent on fitness club and gym memberships
- 1x point per $1 spent on everything else
Additionally, cardholders can enjoy up to $100 annually in Hyatt credits each anniversary year. To earn the credit, spend $50 or more at any Hyatt property and earn a $50 statement credit, up to two times each anniversary year.
Cardholders also get access to the Hyatt Leverage Program which can save companies an average of $350 annually. Cardholders also get immediate World of Hyatt Discoverist status with their card.
Those who spend $50,000 or more in a calendar year will get 10% of their redeemed points back for the rest of the year.
New World of Hyatt Business Credit Card cardholders can earn 75,000 bonus points after spending $7,500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
Best Credit Card for Flexible Booking: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
If you’re not loyal to one particular hotel brand, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card gets you 2x miles per $1 on every purchase. You can redeem these rewards miles for future award travel purchases or as a statement credit. This card is a great option if you want flexibility and you simply want a room that’s clean and comfortable.
It’s also one of the best metal credit cards you can have in your wallet, making it reliable and stronger against wear and tear. The annual fee is $95.
New Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card cardholders can earn 60,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Travel Rewards Credit Cards
Everybody needs something different from their hotel credit card. Maybe you want to pick up a loyalty card because your company encourages you to stay at one brand when you travel and you want to accelerate your travel benefits. Whether you stay in a hotel a few times a year or a few times a week, these best hotel credit cards can be one of the most valuable credit cards you keep in your wallet.
Are you currently using the best credit card for hotel purchases? While they have their own perks and benefits, owning a co-brand hotel credit card isn’t always the right option. Here are some choices that give you more flexibility.
Flexible Rewards Credit Cards for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
If you’re not loyal to a particular hotel brand, a co-brand hotel credit card isn’t much value beyond the free anniversary nights. That’s why you should consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred. That’s how the best hotel credit card possibly won’t be co-branded with a hotel.
There are new Chase Sapphire reward categories. The Chase Sapphire Preferred earns unlimited:
- 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards® (excluding hotel purchases that qualify for the $50 Anniversary Hotel Credit)
- 5x points on Lyft rides (through March 2022)
- 3x points on dining (including eligible delivery services, takeout, and dining out)
- 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target®, Walmart®, and wholesale clubs)
- Also 3x points on select streaming services
- 2x points on all other travel purchases
- 1x point per $1 spent on all non-bonus purchases
There is a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit. It comes in the form of a statement credit that will automatically be applied to your account when your card is used for hotel accommodation purchases made through the Ultimate Rewards program, up to an annual maximum accumulation of $50.
Plus, on each account anniversary, you’ll earn bonus points equal to 10% of your total purchases made the previous year. So, if you spend $25,000 on purchases, you’ll get 2,500 bonus points.
You can transfer your Chase Ultimate Rewards points on a 1:1 basis to these hotel partners:
- IHG Rewards Club
- Marriott Bonvoy
- World of Hyatt
You can begin booking award nights for 5,000 points and find a quality property in nearly any travel destination. In addition to these hotel transfer partners, Chase Sapphire Preferred owners can also transfer points to frequent flyer programs including United, Southwest Airlines, and British Airways Avios. You can also enjoy a primary rental car collision damage waiver.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card currently has an offer of 60,000 Ultimate Rewards points after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months from account opening, worth $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
Additional Sapphire Preferred Perks
Additional Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include unlimited deliveries with no delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DoorDash DashPass subscription. Activate your card by December 31, 2021.
Plus, cardholders can earn up to $60 in statement credits on Peloton Digital and All-Access Memberships through December 31, 2021.
Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories with the Chase Pay Yourself Back feature.
You can see how the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Capital One Venture Rewards, two top travel rewards cards with $95 annual fees, compare.
Premium Flexible Rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® earns 5x total points on air travel and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3x points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
If you choose the premium Sapphire Reserve over the Preferred, you will also enjoy these air travel benefits:
- $300 travel credit
- $100 Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee reimbursement
- Priority Pass Select lounge membership
- Special on-property benefits from The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection
The $300 travel credit can also be applied to the first $300 in gas station and grocery store purchases, through Dec. 31, 2021. Other premium credit cards only let you redeem your travel credit for baggage fees, in-flight purchases, and seat upgrades. It can be hard to redeem your travel credit if you rarely encounter one of these three travel fees.
New Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardmembers can earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, worth $750 towards travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
The annual fee is $550.
Credit Card for 4+ Night Stays: Citi Prestige Credit Card
The information for the Citi Prestige Credit Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Some hotel rewards programs like Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy offer a free night on a multi-night reward stay, but this benefit can pale in comparison to the Citi Prestige® Credit Card 4th night free benefit. Plus, the Citi Prestige earns 3x points per $1 on hotel purchases.
When you book any 4+ night stay through ThankYou.com, you only have to pay the hotel fees and taxes for that fourth night. This complimentary 4th night at a hotel of your choice is based on your average night stay. However, this benefit is capped at 2 times each calendar year.
The 4th night free is the largest selling point of the Citi Prestige, but you can also enjoy these benefits:
- $250 annual air travel credit
- $100 Global Entry application fee credit
- 5x points on air travel and restaurants
- 3x points on cruises and hotels
- 1x point on all remaining purchases
- 1:1 airline point transfers
This is also one of the best Citi credit cards to consider for your travels.
If you’re loyal to a particular hotel brand, their rewards card can be a good option because they offer the most points per dollar spent as a loyalty bonus. But, if you need the flexibility to stay for free at multiple hotel chains or you occasionally want to use your points for non-hotel rewards, the Sapphire and Citi ThankYou credit cards are good options for hotel purchases.
- How to Avoid Hotel and Resort Fees
- Best Credit Cards for Hotel Elite Status
- The Best Gas Credit Cards
- Best Hotel Credit Card Offers
For rates and fees of the Hilton Honors American Express Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 The Best Hotel Credit Cards in 2021 (And Their Major Bonuses)
- 2 Best Hotel Card Bonus: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
- 3 Best Free Night Award: The World of Hyatt Credit Card
- 4 For Non-Business People: IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
- 5 Best Hotel Credit Card with No Annual Fee: Hilton Honors American Express Card
- 6 Best Hotel Credit Card for Business Travelers: World of Hyatt Business Credit Card
- 7 Best Credit Card for Flexible Booking: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 8 Flexible Rewards Credit Cards for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- 9 Premium Flexible Rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve
- 10 Credit Card for 4+ Night Stays: Citi Prestige Credit Card
- 11 Summary