Last month I wrote how much I liked staying at the noisy Hyatt Regency O’Hare because all the hotel rooms come with sound machines. I ended up having one of my best naps ever and this was with planes buzzing by and thin walls with loud guests.
Prior to that trip, I used to recommend that travelers sleep with ear plugs. But after falling asleep to the sound of rain and the ocean at the Hyatt Regency, I realized that these sound machines not only provide a better night’s sleep but are also safer than ear plugs, because they ensure you’ll still hear if an intruder comes into the room or if the fire alarm goes off.
There are sound apps that you can download for free, but they aren’t as good as these sound machines unless you travel with a portable speaker. So, I suggest traveling with a sound machine. The good folks over at Adaptive Sound Technologies sent me their Sound+Sleep MINI, which is great. It has 48 distinct sound profiles scientifically engineered to promote deeper sleep and relaxation including naturally-recorded sounds of rain, the ocean and a brook. Interestingly, it also has a crowd noise option. I’m not sure who would want to sleep with that except for possibly a baby.
The device is powered by AC power, and can also be charged using a USB. Alternatively, you can load it with batteries for easy travel use. It also has two USB ports for charging other devices and it’s available in black and white-silver. The Sound+Sleep MINI retails for $79.95, but Amazon sells it for $67.
If you’re looking for something even smaller, they also sell the compact LectroFan Micro, which weighs 0.3 pounds and features 10 sounds (five fan sounds, four white noises and one ocean sound) and lasts up to 16 hours in sleep-sound mode. During the day, it’s a portable wireless Bluetooth speaker with six hours of battery life. It sells for $34.95.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.