UPDATE: The submission period for this contest has ended and the winners have been contacted. Thank you so much to all our blogger applicants!
With dozens of entries it was difficult for us to pick a winner but after careful consideration our judges have picked Kay Dougherty & Anne Reilly from BlondeBrunetteTravel.com as first place and Linda Bibb as second place. Kay & Anne (They’re sisters) will be going on an eight-day European River Cruise on Emerald Cruises for two in 2015 and Linda B. just became $500 richer. Congratulations to you both!
River cruising is one of the fastest growing segments of the travel industry and last year I decided it was time for me to put away my prejudices (primarily the notion that river cruising is only for older people) and check it out for myself. I went on two European river cruises—first, in the summer with Scenic Cruises (here’s my story) and the other with Viking on a Christmas market cruise (story here). Both were seven-day trips on the Danube and both were amazing experiences, as I wrote compiling these 11 reasons to go on a European river cruise.
As you can see from the stories and photos, a river cruise is the trip of a lifetime. Now, guess what? Emerald Waterways, Europe’s first new river cruise company in six years, has teamed up with JohnnyJet.com to run a writer/blogger contest in which we’ll be giving away an eight-day European river cruise for two in 2015 (airfare not included)! Second prize wins $500.
Emerald Waterways is launching two new ships—Emerald Star and Emerald Sky—that each carry 182 guests in 72 suites and 20 staterooms, including two built for solo occupancy. Unique items include an onboard heated swimming pool with a retractable roof, transforming into a movie theater in the evening; two restaurants (Reflections, the main dining room, and The Terrace, for breakfast and lunch); and a new type of cabin design that replaces the run-of-the-mill French Balcony, common to most ships, with an indoor balcony complete with decked area and an ingenious open-air system. The system allows guests to push a button and the upper half of the panoramic floor-to-ceiling window drops down to allow an open-air experience; top suites separate the balcony from the cabin with sliding doors. Guests will also enjoy services like the onboard hairdresser, massage therapy room and fitness area.
Fare inclusions: all transfers to and from the ships; all onboard (and some on shore) meals; unlimited tea and coffee; wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner; bottled water in the cabins; continental breakfast, pre-dinner canapés and after-dinner sweet treats served in the top suites; Wi-Fi onboard the ship, at least one included shore excursion almost every cruise day and visits to many UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and more.
Five itineraries are being offered by Emerald Waterways in 2014:
- “Danube Delights,” an eight-day adventure between Nuremberg and Budapest
- “Classic Prague & Danube Delights,” an 11-day itinerary that adds three days in beautiful and historic Prague to the eight-day Nuremberg to Budapest sailing
- “Magical Rhine & Moselle,” a 12-day trip between Switzerland’s Basel and the canal city of Amsterdam
- “Splendors of Europe,” a 15-day exploration of many of Europe’s top sights between Amsterdam and Budapest
- “Christmas Markets of Europe,” a 15-day voyage through Christmas markets big and small in five countries
We know why you should do an Emerald Waterways river cruise. Now tell us your reasons for wanting to do one! To enter to win, write a 450- to 750-word article in English about what you would most like to do on an Emerald Waterways river cruise through Europe. Please identify the itinerary that looks most exciting and write about what you’d like to do and see on that itinerary.
Entries will be judged on creativity, ability to inspire interest in Emerald Waterways and clarity of writing.
Enter in three easy steps:
- Write a 450-750 word article entitled: Why I want to go on an eight-day Emerald Waterways river cruise through Europe
- Publish your post on your blog or website.
- Submit the URL! Using Twitter, tweet your post’s URL using the hashtag #EmeraldWaterways and tag @JohnnyJet and @USEmerald. Entry URLs must also be emailed to Whitney@JohnnyJet.com with the subject line “Emerald Waterways contest.”
Entries must be received by midnight May 25, 2014 PT with the winner to be notified within seven business days. Travel must commence by September 24, 2015. Contest is open to U.S. residents only. First prize: One eight-day European river cruise on Emerald Waterways in 2015. Second prize: $500 US.
Ready to enter? Get writing and good luck!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.