This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Last week, a reader emailed me asking if the British Airways Visa Signature® Card Travel Together Ticket is a good value.
Q: Should I get the British Airways Travel Together Ticket?
A: Only if you’re fine with spending $$$ for First Class travel.
For most people, the British Airways Travel Together Ticket isn’t going to be a perk that’s worth going out of their way to get (though it’s now easier if you earn the signup bonus, more on that below). But for some people, it can save them a lot of cash & Avios. Let me explain.
What is the British Airways Airways Visa Travel Together Ticket?
The Travel Together Ticket allows you to bring a companion on an award flight for no additional Avios miles, but you’re still required to pay for the passenger’s taxes and fuel surcharges. You will receive the Travel Together Ticket if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year on the British Airways Visa Signature® Card.
- The Travel Together Ticket is good for two years.
- Flights must originate and end in the US.
- Flights have to be on British Airways metal.
- From the BA website: taxes & fees are “approximately $682-$1250 per adult in economy or $1250 in business class based on travel from Seattle to London.”
You can see the full terms & conditions on the British Airways Travel Together Ticket here.
Signup Bonus Perks
New British Airways Visa Signature® Card cardholders can earn 50,000 Avios by spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. Additionally, spending $20,000 total on purchases within the first year of account opening earns a Travel Together Ticket.
New cardholders also earn 5 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, and LEVEL within the first 12 months from account opening (earn 3 Avios thereafter). New cardholders can also earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel within the first 12 months from account opening (earn 2 Avios thereafter).
Plus, new British Airways Visa Signature® Card cardholders can get 10% off British Airways flights starting in the United States when you book through the website provided in the welcome materials.
This card has a $95 annual fee but doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee.
Examples of the British Airways Visa Travel Together Ticket
Because you have to pay the fees for both people, it makes the most sense to use the Travel Together Ticket for premium cabin travel. But the bad news is that last year, British Airways devalued their award chart and raised prices on premium travel award redemptions.
Here are a couple of examples.
A round-trip business class ticket from Dallas to London would cost 125,000 Avios & a hefty $1,249 in fees. That means if you used your Travel Together Ticket, you would get two award seats for 125,000 Avios and $2,500.
A cheaper option would be to fly JFK to London for 100,000 Avios and $1,173. Or 100,000 Avios and $2,246 for two business class round-trip tickets.
Wrap Up on the British Airways Visa Travel Together Ticket
The Avios miles required for these flights are definitely less than what it cost you in other loyalty programs for two business class flights, but you have to pay over $2,000. Paying $2,000 for premium cabin travel to Europe isn’t the worst thing, especially if you pay for international business class flights on a regular basis. However, I would much rather spend my Avios on short hops, to transfer to Iberia, or on Air Berlin & Aer Lingus for flights to Europe.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.