This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is an easy travel card to have in your wallet, thanks to its ability to earn unlimited 2x miles on every single purchase. Plus, you can enjoy perks like a fee credit of up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, the ability to use your miles to pay for Amazon purchases, and the flexibility to transfer rewards to travel partners or redeem rewards for flights.
If you have excellent credit, this card may be perfect for you.
Even better, new Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card cardholders can earn 100,000 bonus miles after spending $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Travel Rewards Credit Cards
Side note—this travel credit card favorite is also frequently compared to another favorite metal travel card, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. You can see how they compare in this Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Capital One Venture review.
Although Capital One recommends having an excellent credit score, your credit might be less than perfect. You should never apply for a new credit card without knowing your credit score first. Here are some of the best places to get a free credit score if you aren’t sure what yours is.
What Is Good To Excellent Credit Score?
Capital One defines good to excellent credit as:
- Never declaring bankruptcy or defaulting on a loan
- Not more than 60 days late on a credit card, loan, or medical bill in the past year
- Had a loan or credit card for 3 years or more with a credit limit above $5,000
How hard is it to get the Capital One Venture credit card? If you meet these three conditions, your Capital One Venture approval odds are very high. Of course, there are no guarantees that you will be approved if you have an excellent credit score. Having good to excellent credit means your credit score is at least 700.
When your credit score is higher than 700, you can apply for the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, one of the best credit cards for excellent credit scores.
What Others Are Saying About Capital One Venture Credit Score
Should you apply for the Capital One Venture if you don’t have a 720 credit score? Below are a few experiences from applicants without a 720 credit score.
Easims states, “I applied for the Venture card with a 628 TU (TransUnion) score and a 705 EQ (Equifax) score. I was not accepted immediately but after a short phone call to Capital One customer service…I was accepted for the card and given a $15,000 credit limit!”
Nirrol Smith says, “When I applied my Transunion score on Credit Karma was showing 714 and Equifax 715 and I was instantly approved for a $12,000 limit.
An anonymous cardholder says, “Approved for a surprisingly high credit limit at 30k. I have a 730 FICO and 110k income.”
For one final reference, RJEngle said, “Applied and instant approval. I did do the preapproval on Capital One’s website before applying. Just a year and a half ago I was denied for this card. Happy to finally qualify FICO 8 scores: TransUnion: 706, Equifax: 775, Experian: 700.”
Learn more: Rewards Credit Cards
Credit Card Score Needed For the Capital One Venture
Based on the user testimonials, at least one of your credit scores needs to be at least 700. Applicants with a score of at least 750 appear to have the best chances at instant approval. When your credit score is between 700 and 750, your approval odds increase greatly if it’s at the higher end of the spectrum. Of course, there are no guarantees that you will be approved if you have an excellent credit score.
So you don’t waste a card application because your credit score is right around 700, you might see if you can get credit card pre-approval for the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card first. Capital One may have even taken the initiative to send you a mail offer stating you’re pre-approved.
If your card application isn’t instantly approved, you should call Capital One if you don’t receive a decision within 48 hours. Many credit card companies delay applications of candidates with borderline credit. To help them decide sooner instead of later, you can call the company and tell them your projected monthly spending.
Capital One Venture Credit Limit
Your new credit limit will depend on your credit profile. Since the Capital One Venture is a Visa Signature card, your minimum credit limit will be $5,000.
Well-qualified applicants mentioned their credit limit was as high as $30,000. Other applicants with credit scores between 700 and 750 were assigned limits of at least $10,000. Getting the highest credit limit possible keeps your credit utilization ratio lower to help increase your score too.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card Benefits
If you qualify for the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- 2x miles on every $1 spent
- Redeem miles for travel statement credits and future award travel
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- $95 annual fee
New Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card cardholders can earn 100,000 bonus miles after spending $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Travel Rewards Credit Cards
Redeeming Capital One Venture Miles
The information for the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
With the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, there are no blackout dates. Capital One also announced that Capital One Venture Rewards cardholders (as well as Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card, Capital One Spark Miles for Business, and Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business cardholders) can now transfer their miles to leading travel loyalty programs. Your miles won’t expire as long as the account is open. There is no limit on how many miles you can earn.
You can use your miles to purchase all or part of a travel purchase. Plus, there aren’t any redemption minimums. If you make a $500 hotel purchase, you can use your miles balance for the entire purchase or for a portion.
The same can be said for small in-flight purchases for only a few dollars. Where other rewards cards have a minimum $20 redemption requirement, the Venture card is extremely flexible. This is why it is one of the best Capital One credit cards.
What To Do If You Don’t Qualify For The Capital One Venture
If your credit score is still in the 600s, you might consider applying for the Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card instead. You only need average credit for the VentureOne (also one of the easiest credit cards to get approved for). It can be a better option if you’ve experienced these credit events:
- Defaulted on a loan in the past five years
- Owned a credit card or other credit for three years or less
The VentureOne earns 1.25x miles on every dollar spent and doesn’t have an annual fee. Although you won’t be earning as many miles per dollar, you can still own a Venture product and build your credit history.
Once your score goes above the 700 range, you can consider upgrading to the Venture Card and begin earning 2x miles on every dollar spent.
So what credit score is needed for the Capital One Venture Card? You should only apply when your credit score is at least 700, but preferably 750 or higher. Once you qualify for the Capital One Venture Card, you’ll begin earning 2x rewards miles on every purchase. If you must wait until your credit score grows, VentureOne is a great secondary option. Of course, there are no guarantees that you will be approved if you have an excellent credit score.
Learn more: Travel Rewards Credit Cards
- Credit Card Benefits To Help Manage Coronavirus
- Best Credit Cards For Domestic Travel
- Capital One Venture vs Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Does It Help Your Credit Score By Getting a Credit Card?
- Capital One Venture vs Amex Platinum
- Can You Receive a Capital One Venture Bonus Twice?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 What Is Good To Excellent Credit Score?
- 2 What Others Are Saying About Capital One Venture Credit Score
- 3 Credit Card Score Needed For the Capital One Venture
- 4 Capital One Venture Credit Limit
- 5 Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card Benefits
- 6 What To Do If You Don’t Qualify For The Capital One Venture
- 7 Summary