Back in June, Carnival Corporation’s new cruise line Fathom announced plans sail to Cuba in May 2016. Locations in Cuba will include Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba for a seven-day cruise (see map below). If you’ve read our article on the new brand, you know that this cruise line is pretty unique. It’s different than others because it focuses on social impact travel–cultural immersion, educational and humanitarian activities. Fathom says the ultimate goal is “to help facilitate and sustain programs that meet the needs of the local communities” to the places it sails.
In May 2016, travelers will be able to experience the culture of Cuba, including art and film on the 704-passenger ship, Adonia, setting sail from Miami.
Passengers will first experience an orientation program that will explain details on the history of Cuba and its customs. Then sea days and port days incorporate Cuba culture and various immersion activities. You’ll also get to meet other like-minded individuals on the ship and during activities.
A sample itinerary on the ground may include:
- 9-10 am: Depart from the ship and meet travelers for an overview of activities for the day
- 10 am-12 pm: Visit a local elementary school to help with the morning lesson
- 12:30-1:30 pm.: Lunch with the teachers and administrators to discuss the challenges and opportunities of the educational system
- 1:30-4:30 pm: UNESCO World Heritage Site visit to understand Cuba’s history and architecture
- 5-9 pm: Dinner at a local restaurant or local home offshore
A sample itinerary at sea may include:
- 6-9 am: Yoga, morning meditation, healthy breakfast or a coffee overlooking the water
- 9-11 am: Break-out sessions focused on cultural awareness
- 12-1 pm: Lunch with Cuban-inspired meal options
- 1-2 pm: Spa time at the onboard spa
- 2-3 pm: Cuba On-Board Film Festival, which gives you a glimpse into the cinematic history of Cuba
- 3-6 pm: Interactive Fathom panel discussions and workshops
- 7-8:30 pm: Cuban dinner at Ocean Grill
- 8:30-9:30 pm: Keynote event where you will learn about Fathom’s vision and cumulative impact from other trips, along with Cuban entertainment
For more details, take a look at a full sample journey in this graphic below.
The beautiful mid-sized ship Adonia is small enough that you’ll get to know the people you’re traveling with for more of a human connection as you travel through Cuba. But the ship is also big enough to provide the likes of a pool, a gym, games, and a full-sized library.
This is a sponsored post. All opinions expressed are my own.
As you probably know, approvals are still needed to travel to Cuba. Carnival Corporation received the license in early July 2015. For more information on the specific regulations to Cuba, click here. For more on Fathom or to book a cruise, call 1-855-9FATHOM or visit fathom.org.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.