Today marks a milestone for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. In its KLM mobile app, the airline has introduced an augmented reality (AR) feature that lets users check that their carry-on luggage is of approved size. Anyone with a camera on an iOS smartphone (for now; Android may be next) can take advantage, from anywhere, for free.
The super-cool AR service works like this: Inside the free KLM app, you add your flight information. Once you’re in the hand baggage check section of the app, you simply select whether you plan to bring hand baggage (aka a carry-on) or an accessory. With your selection, you’ll see a transparent-(KLM) blue, virtual suitcase appear on your screen. Just rotate the virtual suitcase until it covers your bag on your phone’s screen. This virtual bag, of course, is of the maximum dimensions allowed in carry-ons on your flight, so if your bag is bigger than the virtual bag, it won’t pass.
Here’s a short how-to video:
In addition to the hand baggage check, the KLM app also includes a 360-degree virtual Dreamliner aircraft to explore, regularly updated flight information, flight booking, online check-in, a place to download boarding passes, seat selection/reservation, flight rebooking, and access to several digital airport maps. It even allows you to activate a digital voucher for a snack or meal if your flight has been significantly delayed!
I’m sure there are travelers out there that will next want a feature that lets them confirm the size/weight of their checked baggage with an app. Maybe one day!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.