You many not know it, but next week—July 13 through July 19—is National Forest Week. At a time when many people are finding new appreciation for nature (often while quarantine indoors) comes an annual celebration of “the importance of our forests and grasslands.” As you might expect, many of the usual in-person events are not on the calendar. But there are a ton of virtual events that are free to join, including a “Naturalist Chat” (Wednesday, July 15, 5pm ET/2pm PT) and a “Live Forest Meditation” (Thursday, July 16, 1pm ET/10am PT). If you like nature or simply have an hour to learn about the U.S.’s natural wonders, you can find more details listed here.
In addition, my friend Darley Newman—who is the host of Travels With Darley on PBS and was just nominated for a Daytime Emmy (see my “39 Travel Questions” interview with her here)—is putting out a bunch of content themed around National Forest Week. For starters, tomorrow (Thursday, July 9) at 8pm ET/5pm ET she’s hosting a “National Forests Facebook Watch Party” with the National Forest Foundation on Facebook, which you can join free here. Here’s the event description from Facebook:
“Join us to kick off National Forest Week 2020 as we share exclusive ‘Travels with Darley’ videos featuring national forest adventures from all over the country! This year the #NationalForestWeek celebrations will be hosted online, starting with a Facebook Watch Party where Darley Newman, the National Forest Foundation and local Forest Service representatives will be watching along and ready to answer your questions.”
Darley has also partnered with the National Forest Foundation on two video series, both of which are on Vimeo (and free):
What’s your favorite forest in the U.S.?
In the spirit of National Forest Week, what’s your favorite forest that you’ve ever been to? How about one you want to visit? Please share in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,747!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.