This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
There are two exciting announcements for the Chase Freedom card family. One is the 3rd quarter 2021 bonus categories and the other is a 10% point redemption bonus opportunity. Here’s what you need to know about the new Chase Freedom bonus categories.
Chase Freedom Bonus Categories
The Chase Freedom® (no longer accepting new applications) and Chase Freedom Flex℠ cards are announcing their 3rd quarter bonus categories.
- Grocery stores (excluding Walmart® and Target®)
- Select music and TV streaming services
The first $1,500 in combined purchases in July, August, and September 2021 earn 5% cash back (5x Ultimate Rewards per $1) and then 1% back. All remaining spending earns 1% back.
The Chase Freedom Flex continues to earn unlimited 3% back dining and drugstore purchases.
Having these bonus categories gives the Chase Freedom and Freedom Flex cards more value as these categories are things most people have monthly spending on. It also makes the Chase Freedom cards some of the best cards for grocery purchases and some of the best credit cards for streaming services.
New Chase Pay Yourself Back 10% Redemption Bonus
The other exciting news is the Chase Freedom cards’ first Pay Yourself Back redemption bonus. Currently, you can redeem Ultimate Rewards points for select charity donations but each point is only worth 1 cent. That’s the standard redemption value as cash, travel, and gift card rewards.
Starting July 2, 2021, and ending September 30, 2021, cardholders can redeem Ultimate Rewards for dining purchases as a statement credit with a 10% bonus (up to $250 back). This promotion values each point at 1.10 cents.
Eligible dining purchases include dine-in, takeout, and eligible delivery services like DoorDash.
Participating cards include:
- Chase Freedom® (no longer accepting new applications)
- Chase Freedom Flex℠
- The Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- And the Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card
The Pay Yourself Back feature is standard with the Chase credit cards earning Ultimate Rewards points. The redemption categories update quarterly.
This redemption bonus can be a win-win proposition for Chase Freedom Flex cardholders. You can earn 3% back on dining purchases and then use 10% fewer points with the statement credit on qualifying expenses. For example, you only need 900 Ultimate Rewards to cover a $10 dining purchase instead of 1,000 points.
Other Chase Freedom Benefits
In addition to these two new benefit announcements, there are several other benefits available to new and existing cardholders.
New applicants to the Chase Freedom Flex or Chase Freedom Unlimited cards can earn a one-time $200 signup bonus. You must make at least $500 in purchases during the first 3 months to earn the bonus. Plus, they can earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target® or Walmart® purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.
There are several limited-time benefits that brand partners offer.
- Complimentary 3-month DoorDash DashPass membership (then 50% off for 9 months). Must activate by December 31, 2021.
- 5% back on Lyft rides through March 2022
The Chase Freedom Flex also gets these Mastercard World Elite benefits:
- $5 Lyft credit after your first 3 Lyft rides each month
- $5 off Fandango after spending $20
- Plus, 5% back on HelloFresh purchases for your next meal delivery kit
- Complimentary ShopRunner 2-day shipping
The Chase Freedom cards are some of the best cash back credit cards you can own. The latest bonus categories and 10% dining redemption bonus continue to show why. These offers make it easy to earn and redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards as the most valuable credit card points.
- The Best Limited-Time Credit Card Offers
- Beginner’s Guide to Points and Miles
- The Best Credit Card Offers for 2021 (100k Bonuses and More)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.