Continuing this week’s theme of rental car tips (here’s Monday’s and here’s Tuesday’s), today I’m sharing what may be my number-one tip for anyone searching for a cheap rental car: Keep checking the prices, even after you’ve made a reservation. Rates change all the time, and if your booking is refundable (that’s usually the default or an available option), you can always cancel your original reservation and book again at the lower rate.
Just make a refundable reservation and keep checking as you get closer to your pick-up date. If the price drops, make a new reservation and then cancel the original. I did this three times recently on an Avis rental I made via Costco Travel and it saved me enough money to buy my baby a new pair of shoes. Below is a screenshot of a booking I canceled and a screenshot of the cheap rental car rate I ended up with after rebooking.
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,444!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.