This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
If you’re a Citi ThankYou Rewards fan, there’s a card that might interest you. The Citi Rewards+® Card doesn’t have an annual fee and you can earn unlimited point roundups on purchases. You will earn 2x points per $1 spent at supermarkets and gas stations (on the first $6,000 annually, then 1x point per $1 after). You’ll also earn an unlimited 1x point per $1 on all non-bonus categories.
You will be able to redeem your points for travel rewards, gift cards, and select online retail partners. Because this card doesn’t have an annual fee, don’t plan on having access to the Citi airline transfer partners that you get with the Citi Prestige and the ThankYou credit cards that charge an annual fee.
However, you can transfer your ThankYou points to JetBlue.
Citi Rewards+ Rounds Up All Odd Purchase Rewards
The main draw for the Citi Rewards+® Card is point roundups on purchases to the nearest 10 ThankYou points. This bonus is for every purchase regardless of the purchase amount.
Here are a few examples of how the spending roundup works:
- $3 coffee purchase: 10 ThankYou Points (3 base points plus 7 roundup points)
- $12 lunch purchase: 20 ThankYou Points (12 base points plus 8 roundup points)
- $27 gasoline purchase: 60 ThankYou Points (54 base points plus 6 roundup points)
While other rewards credit cards only give you the normal purchase rewards for each dollar you spend, Citi gives you the applicable purchase rewards and gives you up to 9 extra points. Your points balance will always end in zero.
One reason Citi is offering spending roundups is to help you maximize the value of small purchases. According to Citi’s research, Americans make 14 routine purchases each week but only use a rewards credit card for 28% of these daily purchases. Citi hopes these purchase reward roundups will entice you to use the Citi Rewards+® Card instead of cash.
Get 10% of Your Redeemed ThankYou Points Back
Each year, you can get 10% of the first 100,000 points you redeem back for future redemptions. Maxing out this redemption bonus puts 10,000 points back into your pocket. This bonus is worth another $100 in rewards.
You will earn this bonus regardless of how you redeem your ThankYou points. Once again, some redemption options include:
- Gift Cards
- Travel Rewards
- Shop with Points at Select Online Partners
- Online Bill Pay
The maximum value for each point is going to be 1 cent each. Including the 10% redemption bonus makes each point worth 1.1 cents each. Although there are multiple redemption options, you should still keep your points for the most valuable redemption options.
Earn the 15,000 ThankYou Points Signup Bonus
New Citi Rewards+® Card cardholders can earn 15,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 in purchases with your card within 3 months of account opening. This bonus is redeemable for $150 in gift cards at thankyou.com. Additionally, there is a 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months from the date of the first transfer and on purchases from the date of account opening. After that, the variable APR will be 13.49% – 23.49%, based on creditworthiness. The balance transfer fee is either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Other Citi Rewards+ Benefits
As a Citi ThankYou cardholder, you can also enjoy these Citi travel benefits:
- Citi Private Pass access to ticket presales and VIP experiences
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption Protection
- Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
- Damage and Theft Protection
- Extended Warranty
- 90 Day Return Protection
You probably won’t apply for the Citi Rewards+® Card specifically for these benefits. But, they are worth keeping in mind.
Should You Apply For The Citi Rewards+?
This addition to the Citi ThankYou family can be a worthy addition for these reasons:
- You want a no annual fee rewards credit card
- Prefer purchase reward roundups and 10% redemption bonus
- Want to maximize your grocery and gas station purchases
- Have other Citi credit cards that earn ThankYou points
If you currently pay for your small purchases with cash or debit, this card is one of the best for small purchases.
The rewards point roundups and 10% redemption bonus are the two most valuable benefits of this card. The fact that you don’t pay an annual fee and the Rewards+ is a Mastercard with near-universal acceptance means it can be your new primary or secondary credit card.
However, note that you will need an excellent credit score to get this card.
But, other rewards credit cards can still offer better purchase rewards and redemption options. And, you don’t have to pay an annual fee.
Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express
One of the most similar alternates is the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express.
You don’t get the spending roundups, but you can enjoy higher purchase rewards if you prefer cash rewards:
- 3% back at U.S. grocery stores (on the first $6,000 per year, then unlimited 1% back)
- 2% back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores
- 1% back on all remaining purchases
Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed for statement credits. It’s possible to redeem your cash rewards for statement credits, gift cards, and online shopping credits. Plan It® gives the option to select purchases of $100 or more to split up into monthly payments with a fixed fee.
The welcome bonus is the ability to earn $200 back after spending $1,000 in purchases on your new card within the first 3 months of account opening. There is no annual fee for this card (See Rates & Fees).
Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card
The information related to Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card has been collected by Johnny Jet and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.
If you’re after travel rewards, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card might be the best option of these three alternates.
Once again, you don’t pay an annual fee. There are more bonus purchase rewards as you earn unlimited 3% on the following purchases:
- Gas, Rideshares, and Transit
- Popular Streaming Services
You can redeem your points for travel, cash, and gift cards. In most cases, your points are worth 1 cent each, but they are worth 1.5 cents each when redeemed for travel. That’s 50% more than the normal cash redemption rewards.
The Citi Rewards+® Card doesn’t charge an annual fee and your “odd” purchase rewards round up to the nearest 10 points. You also get a 10% redemption bonus. You can redeem your points for travel, cash, or gift cards. This card can help you maximize your daily spending, namely small-dollar purchases.
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.