Ever wish you knew the inside scoop before visiting a new destination? Now you can! We’ve reached out to our favorite locals and tour guides from all over the world for their insider tips. In the City Insider Q&A, they’ll let you in on the spots that should be on your must-see and -do list!
Name: Beatrice Gyger Lang
Occupation: City Guide, Bern Welcome
City: Bern, Switzerland
How the locals pronounce the name of the city: Bärn
Short bio: Hi, I’m Bea—I’ve been living in the Old Town of Bern for more than 20 years and I know the city by heart and can tell you all about its hidden gems. Especially when it comes to design and handicraft, I can give you lots of insider tips. I am not only a city guide, I also have my own jewellery collection and write a blog (berninside.ch). I can tell you where Bern’s doves sleep, where women of all sizes find beautiful clothes, and where you can drink the best hot chocolate with a stunning view.
Best way to get to/from airport: Definitely by train, as Switzerland’s train system is very reliable and because like this you can enjoy the beautiful Swiss landscape much better than in a car.
Best way to get to/from train station: By tram and bus—all overnight guests have free access to the public transport system within the city.
Favorite 5-star hotel: Bellevue Palace Bern.
Favorite budget hotel: Home-Hotel Landhaus right next to the river Aare.
5 places visitors must see:
Best local newspaper/recommended reading (for finding out what’s going on about town): Bern.com.
Best place to get a coffee: Einstein au jardin.
Favorite bar/lounge: Die Taube.
Favorite museum: Museum of Communication.
Best sports venue(s): Stade de Suisse, soccer stadium. PostFinance-Arena, the biggest ice hockey stadium in Switzerland.
Most popular local food: Fondue, especially in winter.
To live like a local, you must have this experience: Swimming in the River Aare.
Local/native fruit or dish to try: Local ice cream from Gelateria di Berna. Bernese platter (a meat dish with beans and potatoes that has its origin in 1798).
Most popular local drink: Berner Müntschi (local beer; Müntschi means “kiss”), Ingwerer (local ginger liquor).
Movies/TV shows filmed in your city: Night Train to Lisbon, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.
Best souvenirs to buy/goods to bring home: Mandelbärli (almond bears), Berner Haselnusslebkuchen (Bernese hazelnut gingerbread).
Biggest tourist trap/places to avoid and when: The typical souvenir shops—better go to a local boutique in the Old Town
Best travel tip: My favorite months of the year to enjoy the city are June and September. Then it is not too hot and there is not too much rain.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.