Ever wish you knew the inside scoop before visiting a new destination? Now you can! We’ve reached out to our favorite locals and tour guides from all over the world for their insider tips. In the City Insider Q&A, they’ll let you in on the spots that should be on your must-see and -do list!
Name: Sabine Schneitter
Occupation: Tour Guide
City: Lucerne, Switzerland
How the locals pronounce the name of the city: Lozärn
Short bio: I started working as a licensed tour guide almost 10 years ago. Foreign people and their cultures have always fascinated me. Eight months of the year I do work as a city guide in my lovely home town Lucerne or as a hiking guide in the nearby mountains. The rest of the year I bring Swiss tourists to Central Asia and Iran for cultural and hiking tours. I am very happy to speak six languages, allowing me to meet and guide very interesting people from all over the world. I love it—it is the best job you can dream of!
Best way to get to/from airport: Easiest by train! The train station is right at the airport (next to check-in 3), just follow the signs with your luggage trolley. Direct trains to Lucerne leave every hour, travelling time is about one hour.
Best way to get to/from train station: By bus, by taxi or simply by walking.
Favorite 5-star hotel: Hotel Schweizerhof.
Favorite budget hotel: Hotel ibis Luzern Kriens.
5 places visitors must see:
- Old medieval town with Chapel Bridge and Musegg Wall
- Lion Monument
- Trip on Lake Lucerne
- Trip to Mount Pilatus
Best local newspaper/recommended reading (for finding out what’s going on about town): Living in Lucerne.
Favorite fine dining restaurant: Restaurant des Balances.
Favorite casual restaurant: Valentino.
Favorite bar/lounge: Sunset Bar in summer, otherwise Louis Bar.
Best music venue/place to see live music: KKL for classical music. Every Thursday: jam session at Louis Bar at the Hotel Montana. Otherwise Schüür or Jazzkantine. If you come in July: Blue Balls Festival.
Favorite museum: Rosengart Collection.
Most popular local food: Lozärner Chügelipastete (a puff pastry shell filled with diced veal and mushrooms in a creamy sauce).
Best “locals-only” spot & event: Lucerne Carnival: the best days of the year (dancing away winter). Seebad: historic outdoor
To live like a local, you must have this experience: Buy fruits, vegetables, flowers, and bread at farmer;s market on Tuesday or Saturday along the Reuss River.
Local/native fruit or dish to try: Lozärner Chügelipastete (puff pastry shell filled with diced veal and mushrooms in a creamy sauce), pear bread from Kurmann Confiserie, lebkuchen from Merz Bakery.
Most popular local drink: Luzerner Bier (beer from Lucerne) or Kafi Luz (hot alcoholic coffee beverage in winter and during Carnival).
Movies/TV shows filmed in your city: Tatort.
Best souvenirs to buy/goods to bring home: Chocolate from Läderach or cheese from Barmettler.
Best place to volunteer: Blue Balls Festival, Lucerne Marathon.
Biggest tourist trap/places to avoid and when: Schwanenplatz: most of the time very busy.
Best smartphone app(s) for your city: City Guide Lucerne.
Best travel tip: Walk the old town and up to the Musegg Wall, visit the Clock Tower, walk along the lake all the way to the Museum of Transportation and come back by boat. Take a sip from a public fountain! Fountain water comes from fresh water sources at Mount Pilatus and is drinkable all year round!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.