Ever wish you knew the inside scoop before visiting a new destination? Now you can! We’ve reached out to our favorite locals and tour guides from all over the world for their insider tips. In the City Insider Q&A, they’ll let you in on the spots that should be on your must-see and -do list!
Name: Rick Rose
Occupation: Proprietor, Grandview Gardens Bed & Breakfast and Palm Beach Vacation Rentals
City: West Palm Beach, FL
Facebook: Rick Rose
Pinterest: Palm Beach Vacation Rentals
Short bio: I am the proprietor at Grandview Gardens Bed & Breakfast and Palm Beach Vacation Rentals, welcoming roughly 2000 guests a year to the Palm Beaches. I am also the official historian for the Worth Avenue Association, leading approximately 1500 people a year on tours of Worth Avenue and Palm Beach.
In addition, I am very involved in the local community having served as the past president of the Grandview Heights’ Neighborhood Association, current board member of Discover the Palm Beaches, a current member of the Palm Beach Preservation Foundation, and the Historical Society of Palm Beach County. I also write a column about the Palm Beaches in the German language quarterly Florida Sun Magazine.
Best way to get to/from airport: Uber.
Best way to get to/from train station: Uber.
Favorite 5-star hotel: The Breakers Palm Beach.
Favorite budget hotel: Hotel Biba.
5 places visitors must see:
- The Flagler Museum
- The Breakers Hotel Palm Beach
- Worth Avenue
- The Palm Beach Lake Trail
- West Palm Beach Waterfront Park
Best local newspaper/recommended reading (for finding out what’s going on about town): The Palm Beach Post.
Favorite fine dining restaurant: Table 26.
Favorite casual restaurant: Howley’s in West Palm Beach.
Best place to get a coffee: Subculture Coffee in West Palm Beach.
Favorite bar/lounge: Camelot.
Best music venue/place to see live music: Guanabanas in Jupiter.
Favorite museum: Norton Museum of Art.
Best sports venue(s): Delray Tennis Center.
Most popular local food: Dolphin fish filet (mahi mahi).
Best “locals-only spot”: Benny’s at the Beach restaurant at the Lake Worth Pier.
To live like a local, you must have this experience: Go to a charity gala.
Local/native fruit or dish to try: Orange Blossom honey.
Most popular local drink: Arnold Palmer (3 parts unsweetened ice tea, 1 part lemonade).
Movies/TV shows filmed in your city: American Horror Story: Freak Show in Jupiter. B.L. Stryker starring local native Burt Reynolds in 1989-90.
Best souvenirs to buy/goods to bring home: Orange blossom honey.
Best place to volunteer: Sunfest, Florida’s largest open-air music and arts festival.
Biggest tourist trap/places to avoid and when: Palm Beach doesn’t have any major tourist trips.
Best SmartPhone app(s) for your city: SkyBike (bike sharing in West Palm Beach).
Best travel tip: The best way to see Palm Beach and West Palm Beach is by bicycle. Public bike-sharing is available in West Palm Beach (SkyBike).
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.