The weather is plummeting across the country, especially in the Midwest, so today’s tip concerns a way to help you stay warm. It comes from TODAY meteorologist Dylan Dreyer, who wrote a guide to staying warm outside:
“The secret to warm feet involves hot packs for your toes. You have to sandwich your toes between them…one hot pack on the bottom, one on top. Then hot-packed feet go into Ugg slippers, which then go into waterproof snow boots. I bring along lots of hot packs, but they’re also thin. Anything thin can go around the outside of your bag — don’t stack because that will only take up room!
“Speaking of hot packs…I put a hot pack into each of my pockets and also stick one to the inside of my jacket. Combine that with Belvita breakfast crackers and bananas…and that’s everything I need!”
Here are the hot packs that Dylan is talking about (or at least the ones that I use):
Stay warm and safe out there. The New York Times notes that it’s expected to get as low as -65ºF (!) with windchill in Minneapolis-St. Paul, and in that kind of cold exposed skin can become frostbite in just five minutes. Chicago, meanwhile, will see its coldest weather in 30 years. As the number of flight cancelations and delays may rise, here’s my guide to handling them.
If you have your own tips for staying warm in the extreme cold, please share them in the comments below!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,374!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.