Each Friday, we feature a reader-submitted tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s tip comes from reader Karol, who says:
“If you are renewing your passport, I think getting a passport card (paying the extra) is a great idea, as they will take the passport card when boarding a domestic flight for the New REAL ID Act rules. Could be in lieu of (or in addition to) getting a new REAL ID CA driver’s license.
Also, I just went to the DMV last week to get my REAL ID CA driver’s license. Good to double-check all the ID requirements before you go to the DMV, as I saw the DMV turn away one person after another at their appointment time because they didn’t bring their proper ID requirements (original social security card, passport, bill used as address identifier, etc.).”
Good idea, Karol. Though all current U.S. driver’s licenses will be accepted at U.S. airports through 2020, the future situation varies by state. A passport card (while not a full-on stand-in for a regular passport book) could be used as REAL ID Act-compliant ID throughout the country. And yes, you can have both a passport book and a passport card at the same time. Here’s more from the State Department.
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,155!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.