This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Is 740 a good credit score? The short answer is: yes! If you have a credit score of 740, you should pat yourself on the back. Many banks consider this score the start of “excellent credit.” This means you can start qualifying for some of the best credit cards for 740 credit score.
Best Credit Cards for 740 Credit Score 2020
- Chase Sapphire Preferred review 2020
- Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Best Credit Cards for 740 Credit Score
You have worked hard to improve your score to get a better rewards credit card. These cards offer better purchase rewards and card benefits than “starter credit cards to build credit score.”
In most cases, you might qualify for these cards with a 720 credit score. But, your approval odds are better with a 740 credit score or higher. It’s possible to receive an instant approval decision. Or, you may qualify for a higher credit limit. Either way, you likely have a number of options available.
Let’s take a look at what a 740 credit score can get you.
Chase Sapphire Preferred
There is an ocean of travel rewards cards to choose from. One credit card that you should definitely consider is the Chase Sapphire Preferred. You will especially like this card for its $1000 travel bonus and if you want flexibility in redeeming and earning travel rewards. Here are five reasons why you should have the Chase Sapphire Preferred as your next credit card.
1. $1000 Sign-Up Bonus
The sign-up bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is awesome as well. By spending $4,000 in the first three months, you will receive 80,000 Ultimate Rewards points. Those 80,000 points are worth $1000 in award travel when you book it directly through Chase.
Or, you can also transfer the points to one of the 1:1 travel partners where 80,000 Chase points to become 80,000 Southwest points or 80,000 Marriott points, for example.
As an added bonus, you will never pay a foreign transaction fee. Check out this post if you’re interested in knowing what credit score you will need for the Sapphire Preferred.
2. Flexible Redemption Options
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card earns rewards points called Ultimate Rewards. If you are unfamiliar with this program, it’s arguably the best transferrable travel rewards points program. Not only do you earn two points for every dollar spent on travel and dining and one point per dollar for all other purchases, but you can also redeem them for just about anything.
Chase Ultimate Rewards points are most valuable when you redeem them for award travel. If you use the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, they are worth 1.25 cents each (10,000 points are worth $125). Most travel rewards programs are doing good to make your points worth 1 cent each (10,000 points are worth $100). And, if you don’t have enough points to pay for an entire reward travel purchase, you can pay with points and cash.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Another leading flat-rate travel rewards credit card is the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card. You earn 2x miles on all purchases. While you don’t get a 5% travel statement credit redemption bonus, you can redeem Venture miles for past travel purchase or booking future trips. A new redemption option is airline point transfers.
Another card benefit you might enjoy is a fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. This is a good option for those people who have a 740 credit score.
New cardholders can earn a 100k mile bonus by spending $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Rewards Credit Cards
Chase Sapphire Reserve
One of the best premium travel rewards credit cards you can own is the Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
Here are several reasons why:
- 50% award travel redemption bonus
- 1:1 point transfers
- $300 annual travel credit
- Priority Pass Select airport lounge access
- Earn 3x points on travel (once eligible) and dining purchases
Many Sapphire Reserve owners consider the $300 annual travel credit and 1:1 point transfers. Some of the most valuable transfer partners include Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, and World of Hyatt.
The 50,000-point signup bonus is also worth $750 in award travel.
Before you apply for almost any Chase credit card, make sure you haven’t added at least 5 new credit cards in the past 24 months. Reviewing the Chase Sapphire application rules is a good idea.
Platinum Card from American Express
Frequent flyer mile chasers should consider The Platinum Card® from American Express.
If you’re not loyal to a certain airline or need free checked bags, this is for. You can earn 5 points per $1 on airfare on tickets you buy directly from the airline or AmexTravel.
Other lavish travel benefits you enjoy as a Platinum owner include:
- $200 air travel credit
- $200 Uber ride credits
- 1:1 point transfers
- Free access to Centurion, Priority Pass, Delta SkyClub, and Airspace lounge networks
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee reimbursement
You can also enjoy these other little-known Platinum Card benefits.
The new cardmember bonus is 60,000 Membership Rewards points. You can also transfer them to airline partners like British Airways, Delta, JetBlue, Emirates, and Etihad.
American Express Gold Card
Maybe you want a “lifestyle rewards” credit card that earns bonus points on travel and food purchases. The revamped American Express® Gold Card earns up to 4x Membership Rewards® points on these purchases:
- 4x points at US supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 4x points at restaurants worldwide, including takeaway and deliveries
- 3x points on airfare booked directly from airlines or AmexTravel.com
- 1x point on all other purchases
The most valuable point redemptions are for award travel, gift cards, and 1:1 airline partner transfers. Two other card benefits you might enjoy include a $100 air travel credit for incidental fees at one select qualifying airline and $120 in dining credits ($10 per month at select restaurants and delivery services). Enrollment is required.
You can also earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 3 months of account opening.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card
With a 740 credit score, you can also set your eyes on the flagship Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card. New cardholders can earn 40,000 points by spending $1,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
Earning the full amount puts you on the way to earning the Companion Pass as you work on earning 125,000 points in a calendar year. Getting the Companion Pass at the start of the year means your travel companion can potentially fly for practically free for up to two years.
You only pay fees and taxes for them when you book a seat for yourself.
Besides fast-track access to the Companion Pass, you get these benefits:
- $75 Southwest annual travel credit
- Four Upgraded Bookings each year (when available)
- 20% statement credit for in-flight purchases of drinks and Wi-Fi
- 7,500 points anniversary bonus
- Earn 2x points on Southwest and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partner purchases
As a side note, this card appears to fall under the Chase 5/24 rule. You may not want to apply for this card if you have 5 new credit cards in the last 24 months. It doesn’t matter how pristine your credit score is either, unfortunately.
Summary of Having a 740 Credit Score for Best Credits Cards for 740 Credit Score
A 740 credit score opens a lot of doors when applying for new credit. Even more open when it grows to 800. While earning better rewards, don’t forget to use free credit score monitoring to track your progress.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Best Credit Cards for 740 Credit Score 2020
- 2 Best Credit Cards for 740 Credit Score
- 3 Chase Sapphire Preferred
- 4 Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 5 Chase Sapphire Reserve
- 6 Platinum Card from American Express
- 7 American Express Gold Card
- 8 Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card
- 9 Summary of Having a 740 Credit Score for Best Credits Cards for 740 Credit Score