This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Is 740 a good credit score? The short answer is: yes! If you have a credit score of 740, you should pat yourself on the back. Many banks consider this score the start of “excellent credit.” This means you can start qualifying for some of the best credit cards for 740 credit score.
Best Credit Cards for 740 Credit Score 2021
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Best Credit Cards for 740 Credit Score
You have worked hard to improve your score to get a better rewards credit card. These cards offer better purchase rewards and card benefits than “starter credit cards to build credit score.”
In most cases, you might qualify for these cards with a 720 credit score. But, your approval odds are better with a 740 credit score or higher. It’s possible to receive an instant approval decision. Or, you may qualify for a higher credit limit. Either way, you likely have a number of options available.
Let’s take a look at what a 740 credit score can get you.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
There is an ocean of travel rewards cards to choose from. One credit card that you should definitely consider is the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. You will especially like this card for its travel bonus when booking travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards and if you want flexibility in redeeming and earning travel rewards. Here are five reasons why you should have the Chase Sapphire Preferred as your next credit card.
1. Sign-Up Bonus
The sign-up bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is awesome as well.
New Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card cardholders can earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, worth $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus, they can earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within the first year of account opening.
Or, you can also transfer the points to one of the 1:1 travel partners where 80,000 Chase points becomes 80,000 Southwest points or 80,000 Marriott points, for example.
As an added bonus, you will never pay a foreign transaction fee. Check out this post if you’re interested in knowing what credit score you will need for the Sapphire Preferred.
2. Flexible Redemption Options
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card earns rewards points called Ultimate Rewards. If you are unfamiliar with this program, it’s arguably the best transferrable travel rewards points program. Not only do you earn two points for every dollar spent on travel and dining and one point per dollar for all other purchases, but you can also redeem them for just about anything.
Additional Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include unlimited deliveries with no delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DoorDash DashPass subscription. Activate your card by December 31, 2021.
Cardholders also earn 5x points on Lyft rides, through March 2022. Through April 30, 2021, cardholders automatically earn 2x points per $1 spent at grocery stores, up to $1,000 per month.
Additionally, cardholders can earn up to $60 in statement credits on Peloton Digital and All-Access Memberships through December 31, 2021. Points are worth 25% more now through April 30, 2021, when redeemed for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories with the Chase Pay Yourself Back feature. Points are also worth 25% more when redeemed through the new Chase Dining hub in Ultimate Rewards, now through April 30, 2021.
Chase Ultimate Rewards points are most valuable when you redeem them for award travel. If you use the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, they are worth 1.25 cents each (10,000 points are worth $125). Most travel rewards programs are doing good to make your points worth 1 cent each (10,000 points are worth $100). And, if you don’t have enough points to pay for an entire reward travel purchase, you can pay with points and cash.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Another leading flat-rate travel rewards credit card is the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card. You earn 2x miles on all purchases. While you don’t get a 5% travel statement credit redemption bonus, you can redeem Venture miles for past travel purchase or booking future trips. A new redemption option is airline point transfers.
Another card benefit you might enjoy is a fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. This is a good option for those people who have a 740 credit score.
New Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card cardholders can earn 100,000 bonus miles after spending $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Travel Rewards Credit Cards
The Platinum Card from American Express
Frequent flyer mile chasers should consider The Platinum Card® from American Express.
If you’re not loyal to a certain airline or need free checked bags, this is for. You can earn 5 points per $1 on airfare on tickets you buy directly from the airline or AmexTravel, up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
Other lavish travel benefits you enjoy as a Platinum owner include:
- Up to $200 air travel credits annually as statement credits for incidental fees at one qualifying airline
- Up to $200 Uber savings for rides and eats in the U.S.
- 1:1 point transfers
- Free access to Centurion, Priority Pass, Delta SkyClub, and Airspace lounge networks
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee reimbursement
You can also enjoy these other little-known Platinum Card benefits.
New cardmembers can earn 75,000 bonus Membership Rewards® Points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening. Cardholders also earn 10x points on eligible purchases at U.S. gas stations and U.S. supermarkets, up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of card membership.
You can also transfer them to airline partners like British Airways, Delta, JetBlue, Emirates, and Etihad.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
American Express Gold Card
Maybe you want a “lifestyle rewards” credit card that earns bonus points on travel and food purchases. The revamped American Express® Gold Card earns up to 4x Membership Rewards® points on these purchases:
- 4x points at US supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 4x points at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, plus 4x points on Uber Eats purchases
- 3x points on airfare booked directly from airlines or AmexTravel.com
- 1x point on all other purchases
The most valuable point redemptions are for award travel, gift cards, and 1:1 airline partner transfers. Another card benefit you might enjoy includes $120 in dining credits ($10 per month at select restaurants and delivery services). Enrollment is required.
American Express® Gold Card cardholders can also get up to $120 in Uber Cash annually. Plus, you’ll earn 4x Membership Rewards® points for each Uber Eats purchase on your card. To use this perk, simply add your card to your Uber account and you’ll automatically get $10 in Uber Cash each month in your Uber account for U.S. Uber Eats orders or U.S. Uber rides. Any unused Uber Cash expires at the end of each month (it does not roll over to the next month).
Cardholders also get up to 12 complimentary months of Eats Pass when you subscribe with your American Express Gold Card. That’s a value of up to $119 annually (based on the $9.99 monthly price over 12 months). With the Uber Eats Pass, you can get unlimited $0 Delivery Fees and 5% off orders over $15 at eligible restaurants. Note that taxes and service fees may apply and do not count toward the order minimum.
This benefit applies only in the U.S. on U.S. orders at eligible restaurants and on eligible restaurant purchases.
Enrollment is required by 12/31/2021. After that, the Uber Eats Pass will begin auto-billing 12 months after your enrollment in this offer, at the then-current monthly price. Learn more about the Uber Eats partnership for more information.
The annual fee is $250 and there are no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
New American Express® Gold Card cardholders can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first 6 months.
Also, Rose Gold is back! Cardholders can choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card
With a 740 credit score, you can also set your eyes on the flagship Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card. New cardholders can earn 40,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. Plus, earn 3x points on dining, including takeout and eligible delivery services, for the first year.
You also get these benefits:
- $75 Southwest annual travel credit
- Four Upgraded Bookings each year (when available)
- 20% statement credit for in-flight purchases of drinks and Wi-Fi
- 7,500 points anniversary bonus
Cardholders earn 2x points on Southwest and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partner purchases. Non-bonus purchases earn 1x point per $1 spent.
Summary of Having a 740 Credit Score for Best Credits Cards for 740 Credit Score
A 740 credit score opens a lot of doors when applying for new credit. Even more open when it grows to 800. While earning better rewards, don’t forget to use free credit score monitoring to track your progress.
For rates and fees of The American Express® Gold Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Best Credit Cards for 740 Credit Score 2021
- 2 Best Credit Cards for 740 Credit Score
- 3 Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- 4 Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 5 The Platinum Card from American Express
- 6 American Express Gold Card
- 7 Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card
- 8 Summary of Having a 740 Credit Score for Best Credits Cards for 740 Credit Score