Did you know that medical/dental tourism is a $439 billion global industry? And that it’s growing at a rate of 25% per year?
Medical tourism, if you don’t know, involves traveling to get medical treatment. In the U.S., treatment at home is often too expensive for people, which leads them to look for treatment outside the country. Certain treatments are not even available in the U.S. In short, there are lots of reasons that lead people to travel for medical treatment. And there are risks, too, which the CDC writes about here.
Doctours, an L.A.-based company, makes medical tourism easier. Its amazing online booking tool is exclusively for medical tourism and offers access to treatment in 35 countries. As the company says on its website, the Doctours team works to give you “all the information needed to find a medical provider, to get your questions answered, and to arrange your treatment.” And its comprehensive platform and tools “allow patients to easily search, compare, and book the medical treatment they desire, all while saving them anywhere from 30-80% on medical costs.”
Everett Potter recently wrote a story for Forbes about Doctours and its founder/CEO Katelyn O’Shaughnessy, who I know in L.A. It’s a Q&A, and Katelyn’s answers reveal a lot about the company, how it works, how it vets its doctors, and more. The whole piece is worth reading. And if medical tourism is on your radar, Doctours is worth a look.
How Doctours works
Excerpted from the Forbes story, here’s how Katelyn answers the question “How does Doctours work?”:
“Patients can go to Doctours and enter in the medical procedure or destination they’re interested in. You’ll then be provided with a Curated selection of Doctors from around the world who offer that procedure. You can filter the results by city or country, and can compare doctors based on pricing. Each doctor has an in-depth profile so you can review their credentials and experience, view pictures of their facilities, see before and after photos from past patients, and learn everything that’s included with the procedure. Finally, you have the ability to set up personal interviews with the doctor, securely send medical records, and book your medical procedure instantly. We then assist with all the travel logistics, putting together customized itineraries that specifically cater to each medical tourist’s needs. Everything from flights, hotels, hospital and airport transfers, as well as tours and on-call nurses can be arranged for you.”
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,572!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.