This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
If you’re a regular American Airlines flyer, there’s a new way to accumulate frequent flyer miles while doing something that may be part of your weekly routine. The airline is partnering with Shell Fuel Rewards to help users earn AAdvantage miles at Shell, including a 100 miles bonus on your first fill-up.
Link Your Shell and AAdvantage Miles Accounts
The signup process is easy but is slightly different if you’re already part of the Shell Fuel Rewards network.
New Shell Fuel Rewards Members
The first step is to join the Shell Fuel Rewards program and link your American Airlines account. It’s free, and you can do it here.
You will earn 100 AAdvantage Miles when you join the Fuel Rewards program as a new member and complete your first fill-up at Shell. It’s that easy. The purchase minimum is 5 gallons on your first purchase, and you must enroll by December 31, 2022.
Existing Shell Fuel Rewards Members
If you’re already a Fuel Rewards member, you can link your accounts and earn 2 AAdvantage miles per gallon at Shell stations.
Unfortunately, you won’t get the 100-mile signup bonus like first-time Fuel Rewards members.
The Fine Details
There are several terms and conditions to know about this promotion if you decide to enroll.
- Matching names: Your first and last names must match your American Airlines and Shell Fuel Rewards accounts to earn the bonus miles.
- No Shell Gold or Silver status: If you opt to earn AAdvantage miles, you won’t get the upfront discount of at least $0.05 per gallon. You must decide if the travel rewards or the cash savings are more valuable.
- Up to 40 miles per fill-up: You only earn miles on the first 20 gallons per purchase. So, if you have a bigger tank that’s almost empty, you may need to split your purchase to earn more.
- Signup bonus ends on 12/31/2022: The 100 miles signup bonus promotion currently only extends through December 31, 2022. You can continue earning 2x miles beyond 2022. This application deadline doesn’t impact current Fuel Rewards members.
- Won’t earn lifetime miles: The AA miles you earn from these purchases won’t apply toward your lifetime status.
Earn Credit Card Rewards Too
The Shell Fuel Rewards program is an effortless way to get more mileage from every gallon of gas you pump. After joining, you will receive a loyalty card (similar to a grocery store loyalty card) that you can scan before inserting your payment card.
After scanning your Shell Fuel Rewards card, you can pay at the pump with a rewards credit card.
As a result, you have the opportunity to earn 2x AAdvantage miles through Shell Fuel Rewards and gas station purchase rewards for your desired credit card.
The American Airlines and Shell Fuel Rewards partnership lets you earn 2 AAdvantage miles per $1. You can also earn credit card rewards allowing you receive more travel points/miles to book your next award flight sooner.
- The Best Travel Credit Cards
- The Best Credit Card Offers (100k Offers and More)
- Citi Premier Card Review: 80k Bonus, $100 Hotel Benefit
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.