Earlier this week I was in Las Vegas for the 31st-annual Virtuoso Travel Week. I stayed at the Bellagio Las Vegas (home of the world-famous fountains) and had a great time. The seven-day mega-event (which will wrap tomorrow) again brought out some of the biggest names in travel. And Virtuoso, the host and the world’s leading international luxury travel agency network, once again did a lot to shape the world of luxury travel over the next year and beyond.
Using data from its network (20,000 travel advisors), Virtuoso also shared insights into the habits of luxury travelers in 2019. It revealed, for example, where luxury-seeking Americans are traveling this fall and holiday season. The top 10:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- South Africa
Even more interesting in my opinion is the list of fastest-growing luxury destinations among American travelers, also revealed this week. A few of these emerging luxury destinations surprised me. How about you?
- Uruguay (+286% jump in year-over-year bookings)
- Maldives (+171%)
- Malta (+140%)
- Romania (+135%)
- Egypt (+122%)
- Puerto Rico (+120%)
- Rwanda (+114%)
- Qatar (+101%)
- South Korea (+98%)
- Norway (+96%)
And in a press release publicizing these insights, Virtuoso supplemented the list with the following analysis:
“The Virtuoso Luxe Report determined the prevailing travel motivator for 2019 is exploring new destinations, and U.S. travelers are seeking fresh adventures amidst the fairytale castles of Romania, historic sites of Malta and fjords of Norway. Uruguay’s award-winning wineries, pleasant climate, and adventure opportunities make it a sought-after destination for the season. The Middle East remains popular, with Egypt and Qatar enticing visitors with less-explored cuisines, bustling markets, and desert excursions, while Puerto Rico and the Maldives provide beach retreats for relaxation-focused travelers.”
What luxury destinations do you love or want to travel to?
Share in the comments below!
More on Virtuoso Travel Week
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.