I’m always looking for great flight deals, especially on American Airlines (AA) since I’m in bed with them mileage-wise. I live in Los Angeles but my aging father is now in a retirement home in Florida so I go see him every two to four weeks. Fortunately, the Los Angeles (LAX) – Miami (MIA) route is almost always inexpensive (under $300 roundtrip).
Once in a while, American Airlines schedules a wide body plane on one of their LAX-MIA flights so I’m always looking at the type of equipment because flying on a 777 is way better than a 737 or A321 – especially if you can get upgraded to business class. However, even with my Executive Platinum status (100,000+ miles a year on AA), it’s nearly impossible to get an upgrade on this route and to buy a premium ticket is usually $1,200 – $1,600 each way, which is way out of my price range.
So, I’m constantly searching Google Flights, inputting business class and choosing Miami as my connection and guess what? I found an incredible deal: $365 to fly LAX-MIA-SJU (San Juan, Puerto Rico). The best part is that both flights are on a widebody (777-200 and 767-300), so they have lie-flat seats the whole way.
Of course, I wasn’t planning on going to Puerto Rico but I would get a ton of Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) so I can requalify for next year as this one-way ticket earns 6,794. FYI: Coach would earn 3,400 EQMs and is around the same price.
It’s not a mistake fare even though the normal price is $1,500 because these fares have been this low for over a week and most of them are for travel on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. But they’re available for every month from now until next May. I just bought three tickets and I’m debating if I should buy more but I would be seriously bummed if AA changes the equipment, which is always a risk.
BTW: Business Class fares back to LAX are slightly more expensive ($450) but I’m just going to fly SJU-MIA so I can see my dad for $138.
Of course, I could do the hidden city trick (see #14 for more info) and get off in MIA but it’s not worth the risk and I love Puerto Rico. Besides, the island can use the business and at prices this low, it’s too good to pass up.
FYI: If you do purchase the ticket, make sure to reserve your meal in advance (beginning 30 days and up to 24 hours before your flight). Here are the breakfast choices on the LAX-MIA flight:
-Steel Cut Oatmeal Steel Cut Oatmeal brown sugar, various fruit garnishes
-Cream Cheese Omelette Cream Cheese Omelette hot smoked salmon hash, béarnaise sauce
-Strawberry Rhubarb Galette Strawberry Rhubarb Galette LAX to MIA vanilla sauce, grilled asparagus, chicken chipolata sausage
Here are the dinner meals for MIA-SJU flight:
-Poblano Peppers Stuffed with manchego, queso fresco, Monterey Jack and Cotija cheese with piquillo pepper sauce and cilantro rice
–Fresh grapes and dried fruit with assorted cheeses
-Chicken Meatballs marinara sauce, creamy polenta
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.