July 4 is tomorrow, so today’s tip is another reminder to never, ever fly with fireworks. As I’ve written before, fireworks are explosive devices and will be confiscated by the TSA, which will set off secondary searches that will slow things down further at the airport (that’s in addition to the trouble you could get yourself in and the actual risks that come with bringing explosive devices onboard). Nearly every major airport in the country will already be packed around the holiday, so the last thing you want to do is add to the mess.
And don’t be mistaken: The rules apply to all fireworks and explosives, including sparklers and those little pop-its that bang when you throw them against the driveway. The TSA’s Instagram account (it has one plus a very helpful Twitter handle) recently posted about the topic, offering “a friendly summertime reminder that fireworks are not allowed carry-on or checked bags…not even these pop-its that everyone enjoyed as kids. So, if you’d like to break out the sparklers (and the chocolate chip cookies) to celebrate with your new(-ish) bestie, buy your fireworks once you arrive.”
Take that advice seriously, and if you’re traveling today, good luck and be safe!
View this post on Instagram
Oh snap! Forgive us, but we’re channeling our inner @KatyPerry today… ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Baby if you have fireworks Come on, leave ‘em at home You’ll make our officers go “No, no, no” ‘Cause they aren’t allowed to fly-y-y! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ We just hope Tay Tay doesn’t get jealous (they’re both cool now, right?) for that reference. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Since we brought it up, this is a friendly #summertime reminder that fireworks are not allowed carry-on or checked bags… not even these pop-its that everyone enjoyed as kids. So, if you’d like to break out the sparklers (and the chocolate chip cookies) to celebrate with your new(-ish) bestie, buy your fireworks once you arrive. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Need info on traveling with other items? Check out the “What Can I Bring” feature on our website. If you don’t find it there, reach out to our AskTSA team on Twitter or Facebook. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ #traveltips #travel #aviationlife #fourthofjuly #fireworks #summer
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.