Yesterday, I wrote about how Krispy Kreme is offering anyone who has been vaccinated a free Original Glaze donut every day in 2021. You just have to show your vaccination card as proof. Obviously, a donut a day is unhealthy but just because they’re offering it, doesn’t mean you have to eat a donut a day. Think of it as the occasional (free) treat when you feel like it. But it’s a brilliant publicity stunt.
A much healthier and smarter publicity stunt around getting vaccinated comes from Staples (and Office Depot see below).
According to CBS: “Staples is offering free lamination of COVID-19 vaccination cards for customers’ safekeeping after they receive their second dose of the vaccine.” The offer is valid at Staples stores nationwide now through April 3, 2021. You just need to use coupon code ‘81450’ in-store.
April 3rd seems way too early for this offer to expire since the majority of Americans won’t be fully vaccinated but I suppose their strategy is to just get the word out early. (UPDATED: Staples just extended to May 1!)
One thing is for sure, the vaccination cards, which show your name, the dates you were vaccinated and which brand of vaccine you received, are really flimsy so it is a good idea to have it laminated once you’re fully vaccinated.
You don’t want to lose the card but know that if you do, you can get it replaced. But it will be a hassle. Health experts recommend going back to the place you got the shot(s) or to your state’s Department of Health office since they keep records of all vaccinations. Both will obviously take time so it’s smart to protect your card.
You should also take a photo of your card with your phone to have as a backup but remember: Don’t share it on social media.
Since these cards are so flimsy, they’re really easy to forge, which is why the travel industry is scrambling to create an electronic verification system or “vaccine passport” in the form of an app to show as proof of your vaccination but nothing is universal yet.
Amesh Adalja, M.D., FIDSA, an infectious disease specialist and senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security, told ABC News: “What these little cards have the potential to do is to make something like international travel easier by avoiding requirements for quarantine or testing.”
According to NBC News senior medical correspondent Dr. John Torres, “Americans who get COVID-19 vaccinations receive a vaccine record card from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but it’s not intended to be used as a “vaccine passport.” The card is too easy to forge so it’s not enough to prove that someone is fully vaccinated, especially for international travel. For now, the CDC vaccine cards are the best we have.”
No matter what, you don’t want to lose your CDC vaccination card because for now, they could be your ticket to travel, depending on the destination and method of transportation, like a cruise ship.
Office Depot Offering Free Lamination
Office Depot has joined the free publicity party and they one upped Staples by offering the free service through July 25, 2021. Just use coupon code: 52516714.
Warning: Some people say not to laminate them in case you need to get a booster shot but by then I’m sure they will either give you a new card or everything will be electronic.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.