If you were a frequent traveler to England or like to keep foreign currency, this may interest you. The Bank of England (BoE) has announced that come October 1, 2022 the paper £20 and £50 notes will be worthless.
According to Yahoo UK, BoE is “urging anyone who has these at home to spend or deposit them at their bank or Post Office. There are approximately £9bn ($12bn) worth of paper £20 and £15bn worth of paper £50 notes still in circulation, the Bank said.”
Come October 1, the paper £20 and £50 notes will be “replaced with the new polymer £20 notes featuring JMW Turner, and polymer £50 notes featuring Alan Turing.”
I used to keep a little change purse of bank notes from all around the world, especially when I was traveling like a madman. But that was a decade ago and a lot has changed since then. These days, I rarely even take money out of the ATM since the fees are so high and I pay for everything with a credit card that doesn’t have foreign transaction fees (here are some to consider).
Come to think of it, on my last trip to London, I spent a week there with my wife, son and mother-in-law and I didn’t even take out my credit card. I paid everything with my phone using Apple Pay. Times have changed, eh?
Here are some key facts about the deadline and the security features of the new notes.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.