A few years ago, Natalie and I were vacationing in Hawaii when we heard a crazy loud alarm, like the one you would hear in an old World War II film. It was, well, alarming, but it turns out it was their monthly Civil Defense siren test. I wish someone at our hotel had told us because we were ready to run for the hills, thinking it was a tsunami warning. I took video with my phone (see below) to give you an idea of how loud it was!
I later found out that the whole state of Hawaii has a test at 11:45am on the first business day of the month—and thanks to the tensions with North Korea, they’ve just added another test, which begins right after the first. I called the number on their press release and the representative said they haven’t announced if they will do the second test again next month, but she assumes they will. I guess it all depends on whether tensions are still high.
The point of this tip is to warn you that if you are in Hawaii on the first business day of the month and you hear a blaring, steady alert signal for 50 seconds, followed by a 10-second pause and then a wailing “attack warning” signal for 50 seconds, you should not be alarmed.
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,087!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.