Memorial Day is fast approaching, and it looks like it’s going to be a busy one. AAA’s predictions come out next week but according to TripIt from Concur, reservations are up 207% for domestic flights, 466% for international flights (!!!), 191% for car rentals, 184% for lodging, and 134% for vacation rentals compared to 2021.
Here’s what travelers need to know before their trip:
- Friday, May 27 will be the busiest day for flight departures, but nearly as many will depart Thursday, May 26.
- The busiest airports (and departure times on 5/27) will be SFO (8am and 10am), LAX (8am and 1pm), DEN (11am and 12pm), ORD (8am and 7am), and JFK (8am and 7pm).
- The top flight destinations are 1) Orlando, 2) Denver, 3) New York, 4) Las Vegas, 5) London, 6) Chicago, 7) San Francisco, 8) Boston, 9) Los Angeles, and 10) Seattle.
- The most popular rental car destinations will be 1) Denver, 2) San Francisco, 3) Orlando, 4) Kahului, 5) Boston, 6) Las Vegas, 7) Honolulu, 8) Los Angeles, 9) Phoenix, and 10) Chicago.
And according to Hopper’s latest Consumer Airfare Index:
Travelers expect to pay this amount for their summer trips:
Domestic airfare: Averaging $383 round-trip for summer, up over 34% vs 2019
International airfare: Averaging just over $900 round-trip for summer, up only 2% vs 2019
Hotels: Averaging $154 per night for summer, up 36% vs 2019
Car rentals: Averaging ~$60/day for summer, up about 20% vs January 2022
Where are people going this summer according to Hopper’s data?
Domestic: Major cities like (#1) Las Vegas, (#2) Miami, (#3) Denver
International: Short-haul flights from the US, including (#1) Cancun, (#2) San Juan, (#3) Mexico City
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.