This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Can you believe that New Year’s 2021 is less than two months away? To help you prepare your travel plans for next year, Hilton Honors is extending its point expiration dates and other loyalty perks. Here’s a quick glance at what’s ahead.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Hilton Honors Points Don’t Expire
The Hilton Honors points won’t expire until December 31, 2021. Hilton points usually expire after 12 months of not earning or redeeming Hilton points.
Hilton Honors Elite Status Extension
Silver, Gold, and Diamond loyalty status set to downgrade in 2020 or 2021 now expires on March 22, 2022.
Accelerated Hilton Honors Loyalty Status
Hilton is reducing the requirements by 50% to achieve Hilton Honors Silver, Gold, and Diamond status in 2021.
For 2021, you can climb the loyalty status tier by reaching these milestones.
- Silver: 5 nights, 2 stays or 12,500 points
- Gold: 20 nights, 10 stays or 37,500 points
- Diamond: 30 nights, 15 stays or 60,000 points
As soon as January 1, 2021, comes, you’re already halfway to reaching the next Hilton Honors loyalty tier.
Gifting Hilton Honors is Easier for Diamond Members
Hilton Honors Diamond status members will have an easier time gifting Gold status to friends and family. In 2021, you only need to stay 30 nights to gift Gold status (previously 60 nights).
Staying 60 nights in 2021 lets Diamond members upgrade the Gold status gift to Diamond status. This gift level usually requires 100 nights.
Benefit Extensions for Hilton Honors Credit Cards
There are also two benefit extensions for the Hilton Honors American Express Credit Cards:
- Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
- The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
Depending on which card you hold, you can hold automatic Hilton Honors Silver, Gold, or Diamond status. You also enjoy these two card benefit extensions.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
Bonus Points Purchase Rewards Count as Base Points
Any bonus points you earn on card purchases count as base points for Elite tier qualification and Lifetime Diamond Status.
Normally, the base points on all purchases (3 points per $1) count toward these Elite status achievements. Your purchase rewards also help you accumulate Hilton points that you can redeem for award nights.
Redeem Free Weekend Night Certificates on Weekdays
Any free weekend night certificates that you earn in 2021 expire on December 31, 2022. You also have the ability to redeem these certificates for any night of the week. Many properties in the Hilton Honors portfolio accept free weekend nights, so it can be easy to redeem this night quickly on your first Hilton stay of 2021.
Also, any free weekend night certificate with a 2020 issue date expires “on the previously communicated terms.” If you still have a free night, see when it expires so you don’t let this benefit go to waste.
These Hilton Honors benefit extensions can be a breath of fresh air as you make tentative 2021 travel plans. Not having to stress about expiring points or elite status until 2022 is a good start. Reducing the elite tier qualifications by 2021 and the Hilton Honors American Express credit card benefit extensions help leisure and business travelers who travel regularly but not as often as before.
- Best Gas Credit Cards for Rewards, Cash Back, and Bonuses
- The Best Rewards Credit Cards in 2020
- Best 100,000 Points Credit Card Offers
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.