Does it feel like more people are going away this December? American travel increased 15% this holiday season over the same period (December 19-27) last year according to Allianz Global Assistance‘s 2018 Top Holiday Destinations Report, which also identified the most-visited spots domestically and internationally. New York and Cancun repeated this year in their respective categories as the top spots for Americans to go.
Domestically, New York City was followed in visitation by Los Angeles, Orlando, Boston, and Seattle. Internationally, Cancun sat atop a top five composed of only warm-weather destinations. The other four, from second to fifth: San Juan, Puerto Rico; San Jose del Cabo, Mexico; Nassau, Bahamas; and Montego Bay, Jamaica. Here are the full lists, with the 2017 rankings for context:
“Our holiday travel survey revealed that travel is up 15 percent over last year. Mexico City, named 2018’s World Design Capital® by World Design Organization (WDO), is a first-timer to the list, while Puerto Rico jumped up to the second most popular international destination,” said Daniel Durazo, director of marketing and communications for Allianz Global Assistance USA. “Whether you’re escaping to a sunny beach or exploring a new city, the busy holiday season can bring with it unpredictable winter weather delays or illnesses. It’s a good idea to protect your holiday trip with the right travel insurance policy for extra peace of mind to reach your destination safely.”
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.