This holiday season, Americans are traveling to Europe in huge numbers. According to a study by Allianz Global Assistance, in fact, the total number of flights booked to the 20 most-visited European cities inside the holiday season—defined as Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day—is up 26% from the total in 2017.
The five most-visited cities this winter, per the study, remain unchanged from 2017. They are, in order: London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, and Madrid. Lisbon, meanwhile, saw the largest jump in American travelers with an incredible 103% increase in flights from the same period last year.
Here’s the full top 20 plus the change in visitors each will see this holiday season:
“We’re pleased to see that American interest in European travel has continued to grow over the past year,” said Daniel Durazo, director of marketing and communications at Allianz Global Assistance. “With flights cheaper and more accessible than ever, we expect Europe to continue to gain in popularity as a holiday travel destination among Americans for some time to come. Severe weather, trip cancellations, trip interruptions or trip delays are all possibilities when traveling to a foreign country, but with the right insurance policy, you may be reimbursed for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses. Knowing your trip is protected can help ease your mind during a busy holiday season.”
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.