It’s not easy to find good, productive spaces when you travel. Cafe Wifi is a free iOS app that helps travelers discover the best cafés, co-working spaces, airport lounges, and hotels with Wi-Fi through user-generated content.
You can search for places by inputting the name of the city/place or zoom in on the map. Once you select a place you can find:
- Wi-Fi speeds and networks
- Seating configurations in various areas (+ power outlets/USB charging)
- Directions, pricing and opening hours
- User ratings and reviews
- Food/drink types and availability
- Print services (scanner, fax, printing, copying, etc.)
- Meeting space availability & pricing
- Access limitations (requires key/membership)
The app is also designed to function well in online and offline/low-connectivity situations, enabling you to pre-search for areas of interest or travel when Wi-Fi/cellular connectivity is available, and then revisit those results later when reaching a new location using just GPS.
Currently, Cafe Wifi is only available for iOS only but they have an Android waitlist and a website with all the same material.
Important: Harvard Business Review recommends these seven security tips to keep prying eyes away from your devices:
- Don’t use public Wi-Fi to shop online, log in to your financial institution, or access other sensitive sites—ever
- Use a Virtual Private Network, or VPN, to create a network-within-a-network, keeping everything you do encrypted
- Implement two-factor authentication when logging into sensitive sites, so even if malicious individuals have the passwords to your bank, social media, or email, they won’t be able to log in
- Only visit websites with HTTPS encryption when in public places, as opposed to lesser-protected HTTP addresses
- Turn off the automatic Wi-Fi connectivity feature on your phone, so it won’t automatically seek out hotspots
- Monitor your Bluetooth connection when in public places to ensure others are not intercepting your transfer of data
- Buy an unlimited data plan for your device and stop using public Wi-Fi altogether
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.