A couple of weeks ago I attended the Phocuswright Conference in Los Angeles, where I discovered some incredible travel tech companies. One them is called Freebird, which offers an insurance tool for cheap.
You know how I always say that time is of the essence if your flight is canceled or significantly delayed. There just aren’t that many seats available these days, and savvier travelers are quicker to jump to get in line and call and tweet the airline while standing there. Or go to the airline club.
However, I’m now going to need to add the Freebird service to the top of my cancellation/delay to-do list. It’s a first-of-its-kind mobile rebooking tool that empowers travelers to skip the line and instantly book a new ticket—on any airline at no additional cost—in the event of a flight cancellation, four-hour delay or missed connection.
Currently, it costs a flat fee of $19 for a one-way flight or $34 for a roundtrip flight during its launch promotion. Unfortunately, the price will apparently go up in 2017 and vary flight by flight since some are more prone to disruptions.
The cool thing about Freebird is that it makes it so simple and cheap to get on a new flight. Instead of potentially spending endless amounts of time and aggravation on the phone, and/or forking over hundreds if not thousands of dollars to rebook, it lets you rebook without speaking to someone or spending any extra money.
Freebird will instantly notify you in the event of a flight disruption, and it gives you the ability to rebook in less than 30 seconds with only three taps on your mobile device (1: tap to open your alert; 2: tap to select a new flight; and 3: tap to confirm your selection).
To get Freebird, just log on to the website after your flight is booked. The process takes less than three minutes and it can be purchased approximately up to two days prior to departure. Here’s a video on how it works.
Bottom line: You already know how strongly I feel about travel insurance (I’m one of Allianz’s brand ambassadors) and this service from Freebird is just more peace of mind. I would definitely use it if I were traveling during a peak time and/or to somewhere I really needed to be like a business meeting or wedding.
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.