The highlight of my trip to Kona was going on Hawaii Forest & Trail’s Kona Coffee & Craters Adventure. It’s a four hour tour that takes you up to the lesser-known Hawai’i Island volcano, Hualalai. The owner and founder of the company Rob Pacheco was our guide and he drove us from the hotel to their private gate which is 5,000 feet up (it only took 25 minutes). There we jumped in one of the company’s open air off road vehicles to go the last 1,000 feet. We saw the spot where the 1801 eruption took place and the lava from it flowed all the way down the side of the volcano. This is what you see today at Kona airport. It’s 13 miles from the coast to top of the mountain which doesn’t get much rain. But we drove through an area to get there that gets 60 to 80 inches a year. Crazy. Hualjhai has 120 pit craters including the deepest one on earth at 900 feet and we walked right alongside of it. That’s how we ended our tour up there but in style with Hawaiian soft drinks and guava bread.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.