Good morning! It’s been so long since I’ve flown that I forgot my American Airlines (AA) password. Fortunately, I had it saved on my computer so I was able to check my account balance and confirm the last time I’ve flown. I thought it was the very end of February but it was actually February 21, 2020. I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since I’ve been on a plane. My longest previous dry spell as an adult was about 3-4 weeks.
My last flight was when I flew home from visiting my 92-year-old dad in South Florida; I used to go every three weeks to help him out. I flew Palm Beach (PBI) to Dallas (DFW) to Los Angeles (LAX) and flew first class on both legs. I sat in 1A on both flights and remember seeing just a few passengers wearing masks and being freaked out about whether the passengers near me were sick or not. One lady across the aisle was openly coughing without covering her mouth, which fortunately wouldn’t fly these days and frankly should never have been acceptable.
RELATED: Where to Buy N95 and KN95 Face Masks
It’s difficult to believe how the world was turned upside down just a few weeks late. It really has been the most surreal of years and my heart goes out to all the families that lost a loved one. There have now been over 500,000 deaths in the USA and sadly, my Uncle George was one of them when he died alone in a New Jersey hospital. There still hasn’t been a proper funeral service.
I haven’t seen my dad in person in over a year but I’m hoping that’s going to end in April because he’s now been fully vaccinated and I bought one of those crazy cheap $31 AA fares between LAX and MIA. That’s just a fraction of what it cost last year.
The good news is I just checked and the fare is still available and they also have incredible fares for all over the country, including New York to Miami for $30 or Chicago to Phoenix for $30 (all one-way). See below:
Here’s the full list of sales and the fine print: “14-day advance purchase required. Limited availability. Select markets and dates. Basic Economy seat. Non-refundable. Offer is valid for reservations made through March 31, 2021 for travel from now until – May 22, 2021. Taxes and fees included.”
It’s crazy but AA is making less than $15 each way as most of the fare is going to taxes. See below for the breakdown of my round-trip ticket.
What’s even crazier is that since I have elite status, I will most likely get upgraded to a lie-flat seat since they fly the 777-200 often on this route. Even if I don’t, I’ve already secured a plush seat in Premium Economy, which on the 777 is nicer than domestic first class on most of AA’s planes except the A321T.
As I was just buying some more tickets (or at least putting them on hold) I noticed AA is a little bit tricky at showing the lowest fare which is why you need to make sure to sort by “Price (low to high). See screenshot below.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.