Flooding from Hurricane Harvey is unprecedented in and around Houston. We’re thinking of everyone in the path of the storm and hope this resource page helps you stay up to date on the latest news and makes your travels smoother.
TOP HARVEY STORIES (UPDATED: September 3, 12:40pm ET)
- CBS: Houston begins taking steps toward the long recovery ahead
- WIRED: Harvey Wrecks Up to a Million Cars in Car-Dependent Houston
- CNN: Hurricane Harvey’s aftermath: Live updates
- USA Today: Watch out for Hurricane Harvey donation scams. Disasters bring out the crooks
- NBC: Recovery Is ‘Going to Be Years’ Long, FEMA Administrator Says
GOOD TO KNOW
- CDC: Mold Cleanup and Remediation
- Go to HoustonEmergency.org for updated information including open shelters
- What to Do: Weather Delays and Flight Cancellations
- Call 311 not 911 for downed trees and flooding. 911 should only be dialed for true emergencies.
- Flight Delay Information – Air Traffic Control System Command Center
- Flight Trackers
- Google’s Crisis Map
- Every Hotel Website and Phone #
- Every Car Rental Website and Phone #
- Every Cruise Line Website and Phone #
HOW TO HELP
- Earn airline miles by donating to the Red Cross: Alaska Airlines | American Airlines | United
- Earn hotel points by donating to the Red Cross: Hilton |
- Where to Donate to Harvey Victims (and How to Avoid Scams)
- American Red Cross: To donate visit redcross.org, call 1- 800-RED-CROSS or text the word HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- People are urging donations for Harvey relief efforts — just not to the Red Cross
- Here’s how to donate diapers to Hurricane Harvey babies in need
- FOX: What you can do to help Hurricane Harvey victims
- Team Rubicon
- While Coast Guard members are busy rescuing people, their homes have also been destroyed. Please consider donating to Coast Guard Mutual Assistance.
- Animals of Hurricane Harvey
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,011!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.