The only person I knew to go to Trinidad was my old buddy Kevin. He doesn’t talk to me anymore because his wife and I got in a little spat, but I remember him telling me that Trinidad was a dump and he couldn’t wait to get the hell out. He was an IT guy who never left his hotel which he claimed was a pit. Although that was at least seven years ago I never forgot it as I was shocked a Caribbean island could be called a dump. Fortunately, Kevin was wrong (just like his judgment in women) because outside the Port of Spain is the Hyatt Regency Trinidad and it was sweet! I was pleasantly surprised about both but unfortunately, I lost the first 18 hours of photos since my camera had a meltdown so I can’t show the pics — starting with the bellman bringing me bottled water at check-in (I believe they offered champagne as well but I kindly declined).
The 428 room, 23-story hotel has a contemporary design with awesome waterfront views of the Gulf of Paria. Comfortable “Hyatt Grand Beds”, a working desk with plenty of electrical outlets (no adapter needed), Wi-Fi for $14 a day, 32″ LCD TV, iHome stereo with iPod® docking station, air conditioning, and a snazzy glass shower in the middle of the room with a rainshower head was all I needed. The only thing I didn’t like about the hotel was the smoke alarm, which had a really annoying flashing light (bring duct tape to cover it up). That, and I could hear neighbors and hallway traffic when they were being noisy. But without a doubt this is a solid hotel to stay in no matter whether you are there for work or pleasure. They have a 24-hour café, a great restaurant with a fantastic breakfast buffet (eat inside or out) and a stylish outdoor pool and fitness center. Room rates begin at $144. The Hyatt Regency Trinidad (1 Wrightson Road, Port of Spain; 868-623-2222)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.