I love to take a dip in the ocean when I travel somewhere exotic, but after growing up along the shore, living near the beach and traveling all over the world I know the dangers of the ocean. Sadly, I’ve seen multiple people dragged out of the water and some weren’t alive.
Lately, I’ve been getting a lot of warnings from my one of my favorite email safety alerts: the UK’s foreign travel advice. They’ve been sending warnings about swimming in the Caribbean, but these warnings really can be applied anywhere, since the places I’ve witnessed people drown (Puerto Rico, Manhattan Beach, California, and Connecticut) weren’t even listed. The advisories are below:
- Antigua and Barbuda travel advice
- Barbados travel advice
- Dominica travel advice
- Grenada travel advice
- St Kitts and Nevis travel advice
Basically, they advise people to “take great care at all times when swimming as currents can be deceptively strong and not all beaches have lifeguards and/or warning flags; you should monitor all beaches carefully and obey any local warnings.”
It’s good advice. I also recommend not swimming alone, not going out too deep, and having someone on the beach watch you. More life-saving tips can be found here:
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 879!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.