A couple of day ago Travel and Leisure asked me (and other industry folks) if I would fly on Boeing’s new 787 Dreamliner. I replied “I would get on one of the Dreamliner’s tomorrow if it was a short hop (1-3 hours). But with all of their ‘teething’ problems I wouldn’t feel comfortable flying over an ocean until everything has been figured out.”
That was before Japan, the FAA and six of the eight airlines grounded them for problems related to the batteries and electrical system.
If I was asked today I would have to change my reply since I wouldn’t feel too comfortable flying on one these birds for at least a couple of weeks (or months). I would want to make sure all the kinks have been worked out. How about you? Would you fly on the 787 today?
FYI: If you are wondering where the photo pictured above came from, back in November I took a tour of United’s 787 at LAX (photos below). I also got a tour Boeing’s 787 factory in Everett, Washington.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.