One of the best parts of traveling is seeing how locals live. It’s not every day that you can tour someone’s home, but if you have friends or friends of friends, or if you make friends, or if you go on a progressive tour, you just might be able to. One of my most memorable was having appetizers, dinner and desserts in different homes in the Cook Islands. Another was having tea in a St. Petersburg apartment.
Well, thanks to new technology from Google—that uses both Google Earth and Street View—you don’t have to travel halfway around the world to see how other people live. You can tour various traditional homes all over the world and learn about cultures with just a click of a button.
The “This Is Home” interactive program currently has 53 homes listed on six continents. Just scroll down and click the one(s) you want to see a 360-degree view of the space. You can zoom in and out, which allows you to get up close to the artwork and even the cooking products they use.
I went inside a Bhunga hut, and like with each home there’s a little pop-up window with a description. This one says, “In this Bhunga hut, meals are cooked on a mud stove and eaten in the main room during the day and the courtyard in the evening. The family spends time together in the large outdoor area, which has separate buildings for the kitchen, storeroom and more. Everyone sleeps outside on cool summer nights and inside during the winter and rainy season.”
This is a really amazing addition to Google and I think the more homes will continue to be added so check back often.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.