One of the best parts of traveling is seeing how locals live. It’s not every day that you can tour someone’s home, but if you have friends or friends of friends, or if you make friends, or if you go on a progressive tour, you just might be able to. One of my most memorable was having appetizers, dinner and desserts in different homes in the Cook Islands. Another was having tea in a St. Petersburg apartment.
Well, thanks to new technology from Google—that uses both Google Earth and Street View—you don’t have to travel halfway around the world to see how other people live. You can tour various traditional homes all over the world and learn about cultures with just a click of a button.
The “This Is Home” interactive program currently has 53 homes listed on six continents. Just scroll down and click the one(s) you want to see a 360-degree view of the space. You can zoom in and out, which allows you to get up close to the artwork and even the cooking products they use.
I went inside a Bhunga hut, and like with each home there’s a little pop-up window with a description. This one says, “In this Bhunga hut, meals are cooked on a mud stove and eaten in the main room during the day and the courtyard in the evening. The family spends time together in the large outdoor area, which has separate buildings for the kitchen, storeroom and more. Everyone sleeps outside on cool summer nights and inside during the winter and rainy season.”
This is a really amazing addition to Google and I think the more homes will continue to be added so check back often.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.