Like many toddlers, my son is fascinated with dinosaurs. So when my wife read an article titled “This Map Lets You Plug in Your Address to See How It’s Changed Over the Past 750 Million Years“ in Smithsonian magazine, she knew it was up our alley. She sent it over for me to check out. The title alone got me excited.
Dinosaurpictures.org is billed as the internet’s largest dinosaur database. The site was built with help from PaleoDB, a scientific database assembled by hundreds of paleontologists over the past two decades. It curates high-quality, realistic illustrations of dinosaurs and other ancient creatures for kids, students, teachers, and more. You can use Dinosaurpictures.org to see random dinosaurs in illustrated color, search for specific dinosaurs using the database, or—best of all—use an interactive map to see what dinosaurs lived in your area and how different parts of the world looked in dinosaur times.
The map lets you plug in your address to see how that location changed over the past 750 million years. Once you’ve inputted your address (if you don’t do that, you’ll see the whole globe), you use a drop-down menu to choose a time period, like: first multicellular life, first shells, first coral reefs, first vertebrates, first land plants, first land animals, first insects, first reptiles, first dinosaurs, first flowers, first primates, first grass, first hominids, Pannotia supercontinent, Pangea supercontinent, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, or dinosaur extinction. You can also use the left and right arrows on your keyboard to scroll through periods. Scroll through a few of them and you’ll no doubt see the land and water you’re familiar with looking very different. You’ll also see a clickable list of dinosaurs and creatures that lived in the area in that period.
The Dinosaurpictures.org map was a hit with Jack, but I think it’s a cool tool for travelers of all ages. Next time you travel internationally, pop in your destination to see what it used to look like and what dinosaurs used to live there!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.