Image via HearHere
If you have an iPhone and plan to travel by car through the west coast, then you’ll want to check out this app.
According to Lonely Planet, “Oscar-winning actor, Kevin Costner, has co-founded an audio entertainment app for road-trippers across the US. HearHere is an iPhone app that tells travelers the stories of the people, places and histories of the land they’re traveling through, presented in a travel podcast format.”
It’s now playing stories in California, Oregon and Washington. It has a comprehensive west coast coverage with 1,500 stories at launch with more than 10,000 stories to be available across the United States by the summer of 2021.
Here’s How It Works
As you travel, HearHere serves up stories based on your geographic location and interests. The audio vignettes, generally 2-3 minutes in length, combine to tell the history around you, painting a multi-dimensional picture you’re unlikely to get from a history book or visitor’s guide. HearHere answers the questions we all ask as the odometer turns:
“I wonder how this town came to be?”
“Who was that mountain peak named after?”
“Who were the first people to live in this area?”
If you allow the app to use your location, then it will provide Autoplay of nearby content for a hands-free experience. Users can also tailor the content based on their interests with themes including Colorful Characters, Culture, History, Local Insights, Music, Natural Wonders, Special Places of Interest and Sports.
It helps that some of the story narrators are celebrities including Kevin Costner and Phil Jackson, who both love telling stories.
Kevin told Lonely Planet that he loves stories. “I am the guy that stops at the historical markers along the highway—usually bringing moans from everyone in the car. But it was this continuing curiosity that I began to think HearHere could satisfy without anyone having to leave the car. Why couldn’t we replicate every marker along the highway—even expanding from the usual paragraph in bronze that always left me wanting more.”
Users can stream five stories for free. Following the free trial, HearHere’s annual $49.99 subscription is being offered for the promotional price of $24.99 until August, 31, 2020.
There’s also offline listening available for remote areas or for saving your data plan.
–How To Take The Most Epic American Road Trip
–How Long Does a Road Trip Across America Take?
–Car Check Before Your Road Trip
–How Must Does It Cost To Rent A Car For A Road Trip?
–What Should I Bring On A Road Trip?
–Ways To Save Money On A Road Trip
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.