By: Clare Sayas
The sun is out and so are the best baskets of prime, gleaming California produce — along with hundreds of specialty foods unique to each market. Take the kids along to look at the organic, exotic and local treasures in your local neighborhood.
It’s not just produce that can be found at these markets. Some feature fresh flowers, local artists, honey and even exquisite ethnic foods. Involve the whole family and come prepared with a list with ingredients for favorite family recipes, or even make a whole day adventure by creating a scavenger hunt for little ones.
Planning a backyard barbecue? Good deals on wholesale food can be found in local markets as well, which usually take cash only. Eco-minded eaters can feel good about their locally found steals as well. A trip to the market can also be a romantic, refreshing (and cheap!) date.
For a map of Los Angeles County markets, click here.
LOS ANGELES ZOO
Free parking in Los Angeles does exist and it’s at the Los Angeles Zoo. The local family favorite, tucked away near another LA gem, Griffith Park, boasts a large collection of diverse animals and plants from all over the world.
Walk through the grounds and observe gorillas in the Campo Gorilla Reserve, or have younger family members get up close and personal with adorably fuzzy goats and sheep on Muriel’s Ranch, the petting area of the Winnick Family Children’s zoo. There are more activities for the little ones, including shows that allow them to interact with animals.
The hilly park may be a challenge for the elderly, but guests can ride on the Safari Shuttle for an additional fee. Children under two are free, while children’s tickets cost $7. Seniors tickets cost $9 and adults over 13 cost $12. Groups of 15 or more can save with bulk admission.
LOS ANGELES OBSERVATORY
Beat the outdoor heat and head for the hills — on top of the Los Angeles Basin, that is. The renovated Los Angeles Observatory’s grounds are free to the public, though special shows and programs do have a fee. The brand new Samuel Oschin Planetarium offers a state-of-the-art digital view of the night sky, free from the glare of Hollywood’s bright lights.
Parking, however, can be a hassle because of the limited spaces around the Observatory, and an uphill walk should be expected. There is a public LADOT bus that runs from the Sunset/Vermont Redline station; it operates Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to 10pm every 35 minutes.
Take a break from the television, computer and video game console and get outside. There may be no Wi-Fi Internet up in the mountains, but there’s certainly a special connection that can be made between friends, family, even the dogs up above that city smog. Tucked in the foothills east of Pasadena, the Bailey Falls Trail in Sierra Madre offers peaceful mountain trails, spectacular views and a stunning waterfall. More trails in the Los Angeles area can be found here.
Get a great tan, burn some calories and enjoy the rare luxury of going at your own pace. Hiking is a free, fun activity for everyone. Take a camera and plenty of sunscreen.
- Things to Do in LA With Kids
- Los Angeles Zoo
- Griffith Park
- Campo Gorilla Reserve
- Los Angeles Observatory’s
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.