Starting next week, you can get between Los Angeles and Las Vegas for $2.99! As reported by Travel + Leisure, German bus company FlixBus has begun selling seats on American routes that will open service on May 31. For now, buses will run exclusively in southern California, Nevada and Arizona but the company has “plans to expand to a total of 1,000 connections across the country by the end of the year.” Here’s an up-to-date FlixBus route map.
If you’re worried about the type of trip $2.99 (technically a $0.99 ticket plus a $2 service fee) gets you, fear not: FlixBus is the largest bus network in Europe, “busing travelers to 1,700 destinations in 27 different countries using a low-cost and high-comfort model.” And the “low-cost and high-comfort” point is a big one. From the T + L story: “FlixBus utilizes a network of coaches that are owned and operated by independent, local companies in each destination they serve. This way, the company is able to avoid extra costs like paying to park all of its buses when they’re not in use. FlixBus has also made the decision to spend its money on its product — not on advertising.”
It continues: “This model has helped drive down costs for both the company and its customers while allowing FlixBus to incorporate small luxuries into its fleet including free Wi-Fi, a selection of onboard entertainment passengers can stream to their personal devices, LED lighting, and up to 31 inches of legroom. Each seat on the buses, which tend to only be one to two years old, also comes with a tray table, cup holder, and footrest.”
If you’ll be traveling in the American west/southwest—and soon, elsewhere in America—and want to save money, make sure to give FlixBus a look. And if you do try it, make sure to share your experience in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,203!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.