This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Editor’s Note: There’s an exciting welcome offer, available for a limited time. For a limited time, new Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card cardholders can earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after using their new card to make $5,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months of card membership. Plus, they can earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on their new card within the first 3 months of card membership. This offer ends on 05/12/2021.
Marriott Bonvoy is a popular loyalty program for business travelers. Their large hotel portfolio also makes it easy to find a hotel in most cities. Is the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card good for your business trips?
Let’s take a closer look to see what you can expect from the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card.
Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card has some exciting benefits including a free anniversary night. And you can get special Bonvoy member perks and airline transfer bonuses. Here are a few other benefits to be aware of.
For a limited time, new Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card cardholders can earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after using their new card to make $5,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months of card membership. Plus, they can earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on their new card within the first 3 months of card membership. This offer ends on 05/12/2021.
Free nights start at 7,500 points for a category 1 property making the bonus worth up to 13 free nights. If you find an off-peak Category 1 property for 5,000 points, this bonus can go a little further.
If you currently own a personal Marriott Bonvoy credit card, you might qualify for this bonus. However, you must not have earned a Marriott welcome bonus in the last 24 months.
Your Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card purchases earn up to 6x Marriott Bonvoy points:
- 6x points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 4x points at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers & on U.S. purchases for shipping
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases
You will earn unlimited Bonvoy points for each purchase category. As is common with other Amex credit cards, select bonus purchases must occur within the United States to earn 4 Bonvoy points per $1.
All points deposit directly into your linked Marriott Bonvoy loyalty account. As Marriott Bonvoy points expire within 24 months of account inactivity, card purchases renew your current points balance.
Redeeming Bonvoy Points
Your points are most valuable for Marriott Bonvoy award nights. Fortunately, there are over 7,000 properties in the hotel portfolio. Marriott uses peak and off-peak award pricing.
But, you can also find rooms for the standard rate — which is the average of these two other rates. At the standard rate, free nights cost between 7,500 and 85,000 points per night.
Air+Car Transfer Partners
Your next best redemption option is transferring your points to airline partners. There are over 40 participating airlines, but the transfer ratio for most is 3:1. At this rate, 3,000 Bonvoy points are worth 1,000 airline miles.
This isn’t the best transfer ratio for a credit card. When you transfer at least 60,000 points at once, you get 5,000 additional airline miles. This transfer bonus helps make your transferred balance more valuable.
Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card Benefits
There are several Marriott Bonvoy benefits you get for having the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card. Let’s take a look at what you can get.
Up to 2 Free Nights
You get one free night award each card anniversary. As the annual fee is $125 (See Rates & Fees), this benefit can easily offset or be worth more than the fee. The free night is valid at category 1-5 properties costing 35,000 points or less per night. Some resorts and properties still charge service fees on these award nights.
Making $60,000 in annual card purchases gives you a second free night award each year. This award night is redeemable for any property costing 35,000 points or less.
Some people only keep hotel credit cards for the free night award. They also make a periodic purchase to keep their account in good standing and prevent their points balance from expiring.
Related: Best Hotel Credit Card Offers
Silver Elite Status
You get instant Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite loyalty status upon approval.
Some of the Silver Elite status member benefits include:
- 10% bonus points on stays
- Priority late checkout (when available)
- Reservation guarantee or Marriott pays for your alternate lodging
- Dedicated reservation line
You get an automatic upgrade through the next calendar year to Gole Elite status with at least $60,000 in card purchases.
15 Elite Night Credits
Having the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card deposits 15 Elite Night credits each year. This credit gives you a head start on qualifying for Gold Elite status. Staying 10 more nights gives you the 25 necessary nights to bump up to Gold Elite status.
Premium On-Property Internet Access
Your Silver Elite status already gives you free on-property internet. Now, you can have premium in-room internet access as long as you own the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card. This perk makes it possible to have better connection fees or avoid more incidental fees.
Travel Insurance Benefits
American Express provides some travel protection benefits.
One benefit is baggage insurance. Carry-on bags get up to $2,500 coverage and checked bags get $500. New York state resident benefits cap at $10,000 for all persons per trip.
The second benefit is secondary rental car collision and theft protection. This benefit can cover the remaining costs after your primary car insurance benefits pay their share of the at-fault claim.
Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card Business Benefits
So what business benefits does American Express offer you?
Here are most of the standard Amex business card benefits:
- Free basic Bill.com vendor pay for one user
- Manage receipts and track spending with American Express Business App
- Ability to designate an account manager
- Free employee cards with spending limits, alerts, and spending reports
You might also be able to save cash at qualifying merchants with the Amex Offers program. You can activate spending offers to get cash savings on one-time purchases.
Related: Best Amex Credit Cards
The annual fee is $125 per year for the primary credit card. Each additional employee card is free. Also, this card has no foreign transaction fee (See Rates & Fees).
This annual fee is competitive with most hotel credit cards offering a free anniversary night. However, it’s more expensive than most business credit cards. If you can use the benefits, this card can be worth the annual fee.
Learn more: Best Small Business Credit Cards
Positives and Negatives
Here’s a quick look at the good and bad of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card.
- One free award night each year
- Instant Silver Elite loyalty status
- 15 Elite Night credits each year
- No foreign transaction fee
- Most airline partners have a 3:1 airline transfer
- $125 annual fee
Who Should Get the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card?
Two different types of business travelers should consider getting the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card.
The first (and most obvious) group are loyal Marriott customers. If you prefer earning hotel points on business purchases, you can book award nights more often. Automatic Silver Elite status and 15 Elite Night credits also mean you can jump loyalty tiers sooner.
A second group to consider this card those who want the free award night. This free night should be worth more than the $125 annual fee. Making periodic purchases also prevents your Bonvoy points from expiring if you don’t stay at Marriott properties often.
This card isn’t a good option if you prefer to redeem credit points for award flights or cash rewards. Also, this card won’t add value to your wallet if you don’t stay at Marriott Bonvoy properties on a regular basis.
Summary of the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card is a good option for regular Marriott customers. The free annual award night, Silver Elite loyalty status, and a reasonable $125 annual fee make this card attractive. However, other cards can be better if you don’t want to redeem points for Marriott award nights.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, please click here.
Is the Marriott Bonvoy business card metal?
The current Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card isn’t made of metal.
Previous versions of this card were metal. However, there are a few business metal credit card options still available.
How long do Bonvoy points last?
Marriott Bonvoy points expire after 24 months of account inactivity. Earning or redeeming points renews your points balance for another 24 months. Card purchases from a personal or business credit card also extend the life of your entire point balance.
If your Marriott Bonvoy credit card closes or is no longer in good standing, your points can expire. That is unless you earn or redeem points with qualified activity in your Bonvoy account.
What do you need to get approved for a Marriott credit card?
The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card requires you to be at least 18 years old and earn business income. You can apply with a Social Security Number or an Employer Identification Number.
Having a credit score of at least 670 also means you’re more likely to get instant approval if you qualify.
It’s a good idea to apply for a Marriott credit card when you qualify for the welcome bonus. You most likely qualify if this is your first Marriott card. Previous owners of any Marriott credit card may not qualify if they received a bonus in the last 24 months.
- Best Business Credit Cards for Consultants
- Best Credit Cards for Hotel Elite Status
- IHG Rewards Club Premier vs Marriott Bonvoy Reward Night
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card
- 2 Welcome Offer
- 3 Purchase Rewards
- 4 Redeeming Bonvoy Points
- 5 Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card Benefits
- 6 Travel Insurance Benefits
- 7 Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card Business Benefits
- 8 Annual Fee
- 9 Positives and Negatives
- 10 Who Should Get the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card?
- 11 Summary of the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card
- 12 FAQs