Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Mitch Willey
Occupation: Founder and President, Time & Place Homes, a concierge vacation home rental company
Hometown: Washington, DC
Residence: Charlottesville, VA
Short Bio: As President and Founder of Time & Place Homes, Mitch Willey parlayed his 20-year career in international law and his passion for the preservation and renovation of historic properties into a unique, luxury travel offering. During extensive business and personal travel, he took note of the shortcomings of both five-star hotels – which lacked privacy and family space – and apartment rentals – which lacked concierge services. In 2001 he launched Time and Place, which offers the services, convenience and security of a five-star hotel in the privacy of spectacular homes. Today he travels the globe curating unique, special, iconic properties for the Time & Place portfolio and identifies concierges passionate about their destination to live like a local. Home base is the Relais & Chateaux Clifton Inn in Charlottesville, VA, which he has owned for more than 25-years.
How often do you fly: 7-8 times per month
How many countries have you been to: more than 30
How many continents have you been to: 3
Favorite American city: Seattle for its landscape and views
Favorite international city: Buenos Aires
Least favorite country: Austria – people are stiff and too formal
Favorite World Heritage Site: Berlin Wall
Favorite airline: JetBlue
Favorite aircraft type: The old double-decker 747
Aisle or window: Window
Favorite airport lounge: Charles de Gaulle
Favorite U.S. airport: Long Beach – small enough you can walk to your rental car
Favorite international airport: Barcelona
Favorite hotel: R&C Caesar Augustus, Ana Capri on Capri
Do you unpack into the dresser/closet? Or live out of your suitcase? Suitcase
Favorite cruise line: Prefer canoe
Favorite island: Nantucket
Favorite beach: Laguna Beach
Favorite fancy restaurant: Inn at Little Washington
Favorite hole in the wall: Café San Juan in Buenos Aires
Favorite fruit: Orange
Favorite food: Popcorn
Least favorite food: Lima Beans
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): (air) sparkling water (ground) Sam Adams
Favorite travel movie(s): “The Way” with Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez which honors the Camino de Santiago
Favorite travel show(s): Any shows featuring Samantha Brown; and Getting Away Together on PBS
Favorite travel book(s): , My City, My New York: Famous New Yorkers Share Their Favorite Places by Jeryl Brunner – the book’s touching foreward bonded me to the author from the outset
Right now I am reading: Searching for Beauty The Life of Millicent Rodgers written by Cherie Burns
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: I get something of value from so many outlets, Currently I’m focused on Pursuits, ForbesLife, Indagare
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: Jetsetter.com
Five things you bring on a plane: Bottle of water, iPad, bose headphones, agenda, pen
What do you always seem to forget: Contact lens solution
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Ralph Lauren Purple
Favorite travel app(s): Hotel Tonight
Most embarrassing travel moment: Accidentally went to Ft. Lauderdale airport instead of Miami – running late already, turned in rental car, dragged family through airport only to find there wasn’t a flight from there at all – had to backtrack to Miami.
Worst travel moment: Being on a US-bound plane from France on 9/11/01; learning about the bombings and realizing my wife was potentially in the Pentagon – and that the world had forever changed.
What’s your dream destination: Mykonos, Greece – I love the whole theme, the great nightlife – and because of that nightlife and that I’m an early riser, I can go to the beach early in morning and have it to myself for hours.
Favorite travel charity: Although they aren’t travel-related in mission, AIDS organization amfAR hosts their events around the globe and also auctions great travel experiences as a fundraising tool.
Best travel tip: Pack wisely – of course you want to bring the minimum number of clothes you need to look your best from the beach to sports to casual to business attire; but if you have a unifying theme – such as a color – it makes it easy to tie everything together as well as to streamline outfits.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.