In just about every part of the world, American and international, there are museums worth visiting (here’s a good website for museum-goers). This is especially true in major cities like New York and L.A. in the U.S. and Paris and St. Petersburg abroad. And did you know that many of them offer free visits at select times and dates?
For example, at least 40 top museums in Southern California offer free entry at pre-determined times. SoCal Museums even has a tool that lists when and where you can get in for free (or for a donation of your choosing). A few examples:
- Getty Center free days: Every Tuesday-Friday/Sunday from 10am to 5:30pm and Saturday from 10am to 9pm
- La Brea Tarpits and Museum free days: First Tuesday of every month (except July and Aug) and every Tuesday in September from 9:30am to 5pm
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History and Sea Center free days: Third Sunday of every month from September to April (free day does not apply to Sea Center)
Before you visit any museum in any city, or write it off as too expensive, search for its free days. Note as well that many museums ask for a donation of your choosing and that the cost you see listed may be nothing more than the “suggested donation.”
I haven’t been to nearly enough L.A. museums, but so far my favorite is the Getty Villa near Malibu because it makes me feel like I’m in Europe. In your opinion, what’s the best museum in Los Angeles? The best museum in Southern California? Share in the comments below!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,504!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.