These days I do almost everything digitally, except for one thing: write in my plush-leather travel journal. I buy one every year and have been doing so since the 1990s. If you ever sit next to me on a plane, you’ll see that the moment I take my seat, I open up my travel journal and begin writing like a madman. I write the destination, date, airline, type of aircraft, seat number, listed departure time, actual departure time, flight time, miles, what I did on the trip, where I ate, how much I spent, transportation modes, weather, and so on.
I know it’s kind of Rainman-esque, but I began doing it when I was afraid to fly as it helped me focus my mind on something else. Now it helps me remember all the details of my trip and makes for a great keepsake. I discovered World Travel Journals at Barney’s New York but now I go directly to the source (Graphic Image) and do it online. The 320-page World Travel Journals make great gifts, too, since they have 76 pages of maps (all continents, Pacific, Polar regions, Caribbean, and city maps of major cities from around the world). There’s a directory of foreign embassies in the U.S., international air distances, country specific information (capital, currency, language, religion), and a whole lot more. You can also personalize them; mine reads “Johnny Jet” on the bottom-right-hand corner. They come in three different colors and they are 4-3/8″ x 6″ in size. They cost $60.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.