This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
It’s shaping up to be one of the most exciting years to have a Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve® as your go-to travel credit card. Beginning August 16, 2021, there will be new Chase Sapphire rewards categories. Plus, a brand-new Chase Sapphire Lounge network is launching too!
New Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits
Starting August 16, 2021, the Chase Sapphire Preferred will earn up to 5x Ultimate Rewards on purchases:
- 5x points on travel purchases made through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3x points on dining, takeout, and qualifying food delivery services (previously 2x points)
- 3x points on select streaming services
- Also 3x points online grocery purchases (excludes Walmart, Target, and wholesale clubs)
All remaining travel purchases continue to earn 2x Ultimate Rewards if you book directly from the carrier or a non-Chase travel booking site. Non-bonus purchases earn 1x points.
In addition to the many Sapphire Preferred benefits, members are also getting several new benefits:
- $50 annual credit on hotel stay purchases booked through Ultimate Rewards
- 10% anniversary point bonus (receive 10% of the points you earn each year at your next card anniversary)
- A new card design also arrives and is available to new and existing cardholders after August 16, 2021
Current cardholders will be able to request a new card design or wait for their next scheduled card replacement.
Existing cardmembers can receive the $50 hotel credit at their next card anniversary. New members get the benefit right away.
Also, new applicants can qualify for the card’s highest-ever signup bonus of 100,000 Ultimate Rewards after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months ($1,250 value).
There are no benefit reductions. You can continue to get a 25% redemption bonus when booking award travel with points on Chase Ultimate Rewards. You can also make 1:1 point transfers to participating airlines and hotels.
The annual fee remains $95 for the primary card and $0 for additional cards.
Related: Chase Sapphire Preferred Review
New Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits
Also starting August 16, 2021, the Chase Sapphire Reserve will earn as many as 10x Ultimate Rewards on purchases.
Cardholders earn 5x total points on air travel and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when purchasing travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3x points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
All remaining dining and travel purchases continue to earn 3x points (3x points on travel are earned immediately after earning the $300 travel credit). Non-bonus purchases earn 1x points.
Two new benefits launching later are:
- Reserved by Sapphire: Exclusive dining reservations at luxury restaurants in the U.S.
- Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Club: Complimentary airport lounge locations across the world
The Reserved by Sapphire restaurant benefit launches later in 2021, according to Chase. The opening dates for the lounge benefits are not announced yet.
These benefits remain intact:
- 50% travel redemption bonus
- 1:1 point transfers
- $300 annual travel credit
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit
The signup bonus is 60,000 Ultimate Rewards after $4,000 in purchases in the first 3 months ($900 value).
This product won’t be receiving a new card design.
The annual fee stays at $550 for the primary card plus $75 per authorized user.
Related: Chase Sapphire Reserve Review
Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Club
Another exciting perk is the launch of a new airport lounge network. Sapphire Reserve members and Priority Pass members can access the Chase Sapphire Louge by The Club as the locations open.
Unfortunately, this benefit won’t be immediately available to Sapphire Preferred members as a built-in benefit.
The initial locations include:
- La Guardia Airport (LGA) in New York
- Logan International Airport (BOS) in Boston
- Hong Kong International Airport (HKG)
Lounge amenities, terminal locations, and tentative opening dates are pending announcement.
In conclusion, you can maximize these exciting benefits by making your travel reservations through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. Several other leading travel credit cards have similar tiered rewards. The best part is that the annual fee doesn’t increase and you can enjoy the many Ultimate Rewards redemption options.
- Air Canada Aeroplan is Now A Chase 1:1 Transfer Partner
- Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Chase Sapphire Reserve Review
- The Best Contactless Credit Cards for Your Wallet
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.