As I wrote in this story, the three states of the tri-state area—New York, Connecticut and New Jersey—recently introduced a mandatory 14-day quarantine for arriving visitors from states suffering from more intense swells of the pandemic. (See below for more details.) Until yesterday, it was not fully clear how these rules would be enforced. Well, in New York, things just got a little clearer.
Anyone entering New York from an affected state must complete a Traveler Health Form in advance of their stay, and those who leave the airport without doing so now face a $2,000 fine plus additional penalty. “Enforcement teams” stationed at New York’s airports will be checking for completed forms, which can also be found and completed here. Here’s the official statement as it’s written on the New York coronavirus homepage:
“A travel enforcement operation will commence at airports across the state to help ensure travelers are following the state’s quarantine restrictions. As part of the enforcement operation, enforcement teams will be stationed at airports statewide to meet arriving aircrafts at gates and greet disembarking passengers to request proof of completion of the State Department of Health traveler form, which is being distributed to passengers by airlines prior to, and upon boarding or disembarking flights to New York State.
“All out-of-state travelers from designated states must complete the form upon entering New York. Travelers who leave the airport without completing the form will be subject to a $2,000 fine and may be brought to a hearing and ordered to complete mandatory quarantine. Travelers coming to New York from designated states through other means of transport, including trains and cars, must fill out the form online.”
Connecticut and New Jersey have so far not put similar enforcement tactics into effect, but both states may soon issue updates of their own. For the latest quarantine rules in all 50 states, see this story:
What states do the NY/CT/NJ quarantine rules apply to?
The joint quarantine rules apply to residents of states where at least 10% of COVID-19 tests are coming back positive (seven-day rolling average). At the time of this writing, per New York’s coronavirus homepage, the quarantine rules apply to arrivals in NY, CT and NJ from the following states:
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
There are exceptions, however. People traveling through any of the three states and who will be inside borders for under 24 hours are allowed to make flight connections and stop at rest stops, for example. More exceptions to and more details on New York’s policy are available here.
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.