Veteran’s Day is November 11th, and Norfolk, Virginia, home of the largest military base not just in the country, but the world, is showing their support and gratitude for servicemen and women past and present with several signature events. There are so many different outdoor and museums to choose from that you can make an entire weekend of saluting those who have served our country.
Some local businesses even offer special travel deals for those who have so valiantly put their lives on the line for the United States. So book a trip now and experience all of the military history and culture that Norfolk has to offer.
Here are some of noteworthy and nostalgic attractions in Norfolk that allow for a meaningful and memorable Veteran’s Day:
- Armed Forces Memorial – A tribute to those who gave up their lives in war, showcasing a collection of 20 inscriptions of letters written home by soldiers who lost their lives.
- The Chrysler Museum of Art – This distinguished museum presents Many Wars: Photography by Suzanne Option, an exclusive exhibit showcasing veterans who served our country in World War II, the Cold War, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Open through December 30, 2012.
- Naval Station Norfolk – The World’s largest naval base provides a narrated tour of aircraft carriers, destroyers, submarines, frigates and amphibious assault ships that support the logistics of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet.
- The MacArthur Memorial – An extensive collection of military and personal artifacts that allow visitors to discover the compelling story of MacArthur and the millions of American who served during the Spanish-American War up to the Occupation of Japan and the Korean War.
- Civil War Trail and Cannon Ball Trail – A self-guided walking tours direct participants through historic Norfolk with stops including Fort Norfolk, the historic Freemason District, and the West Point Memorial.
- Norfolk Freedom Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K, and Freedom Mile –Running and fitness enthusiasts gather to show their Veteran’s Day pride.
Here are some exclusive deals available to make travel to Norfolk more accessible for veterans and those still in active duty:
- Norfolk Sheraton Waterside Hotel – Offers rates for military and government personnel starting at $92 per night with complimentary breakfast and complimentary high-speed internet.
- Norfolk International Airport – Offers discount savings up to 60% off the normal lowest air fares and 10% discounts in all airport restaurants and retail locations for veteran and military service members and their families with a valid Military ID.
Norfolk attracts thousands of travelers each year to enjoy the city’s waterfront downtown, burgeoning food scene, impressive arts and culture happenings, outdoor adventure, and a plethora of entertainment options.
To learn more about Norfolk’s attractions, visit www.visitnorfolktoday.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.